Thread: Mauritius trip

Default Mauritius trip

Hi guys
    would like to know if anyone fished the island recently, i am of to Mauritius from the 20th of june til 20th of July and would like to get some info please.Were on the island to go and where not to go...Please help a brother out here.

Was there in February. IMO not worth taking your tackle. The island is way too commercialized for any shore based fishing. If you want to fork out the big bucks and go out on a boat for the day, they not really geared for fly fishing. They happy to let you hook a skipjack on 50lb tackle and expect you to be grateful that you caught something. Rather take some mirror sunglasses and enjoy the bodies on the beach. It's free and much more rewarding
    catch and release

[QUOTE=Paul J;246505]Was there in February. IMO not worth taking your tackle. The island is way too commercialized for any shore based fishing. If you want to fork out the big bucks and go out on a boat for the day, they not really geared for fly fishing. They happy to let you hook a skipjack on 50lb tackle and expect you to be grateful that you caught something. Rather take some mirror sunglasses and enjoy the bodies on the beach. It's free and much more rewarding

Thanks Paul J

But i think i will pack my 10wt outfit and go and play a littel on the west side of the island maybe. We are on the North side, so maybe there might be a lost bluefin out there that wil take my flie. I do have a kayak there, so i will try to fish from that.

Thanks

There are 2 or 3 rocky points, that is worthwhile to go and cast for big GT's.
    More than that I am not going to say.
    as the rest said, not really worth for 90% of the coast line.
    But seeing that you will be there more than a month, and you are willing to explore, you might stumble on the secret spots.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

If I ever get to go again I'll rather take a 2 or 3 weight and fish for small fish amongst the coral banks. But I'll still take a heavier outfit along just in case.

There's some mildly scary looking water (deep) just south of Le Morne, some river mouth I think. Could be worth a cast, although I have no experience.
    Last edited by BenzoV; 22-05-14 at 11:25 PM.

Ive been to Mauritius a few times over the last 3 years. I think the Tamarin arwa is the best. The river that flows into Tamarin Bay is the best place to fish. Black River is great for light salt fishing. Take a 6 or 7wt with some small flies and you will get some small kingies etc.

If you go for a month you have to go out by boat and do some fishing on a reef. There are some guys that is very clued up with a fly. Ask around and you will find someone.

Thanks Guys i am going on the kayak aswell so i would try and go as deep as i can and try to find so good holding water and to some exploring aswell we are staying in north side of the island and wil try and find some sort of help or some local to point me in the right way. do anyone know if there are some bonefish on the island???

Quote Originally Posted by Erich pienaar View Post
    Hi guys
    would like to know if anyone fished the island recently, i am of to Mauritius from the 20th of june til 20th of July and would like to get some info please.Were on the island to go and where not to go...Please help a brother out here.
    howzit,

i will be there when you are leaving :-( ... we could've hit the flats together ...

i contacted Dominique Thevnau and his price is 17,000 rupees for half day and 25,000 rupees for a full day ... thats about 4 and 7 k ... seems like he is the go to guy there but that price is a bit steep for me so after doing a lot of reading ... i am going to take 3 rods, 1 X 5/6wt fly rod and 9/10wt and maybe a drop shot rod and work the beach in front of the hotel ...

where about you staying ?

from all i ready, the west of the island is a waste of time and that Le Prince Maurice has private grounds for bone fish and you can get access with prior arrangement.

please report back while you are there
    Last edited by teez; 05-06-14 at 03:56 PM.

Hi Teez

I am going on 27th of june and return on the 20th of July. Me and a friend are staying in a house wich he bought last year in Perryberrey or something like that on north side of the island. i wil fish the north and the east of the island.

I wil report back if have something to show.

thanks Erich,

we will be going from the 19th - 26 July and staying on the east coast.

please send me any info while you are there.

thanks man