Thread: FRUSTRATION - rising fish

Default FRUSTRATION - rising fish

I hope someone can help. Around Dullstroom area there are very often frantic evening rises of large trout. The trouble is I cannot get them to take a fly (and nor can anyone else).

Has anyone any idea what these trout may be feeding on - and more importantly how to catch them!!!! :biggrin:
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

What works for me is fishing a floating line, with a long leader, then have a 2 fly rig, usually an egg on top and then a tiny black zak/ PTN trailing 40cm behind... cast into rising area and slowly bring the line back.
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Maybe you are to old to cast far enough...? :biggrin:

Jasper,

If James's selection doesn't work then try one of the following:

1. Floating line, long leader, 2 small midge larva (16 or 18's - small copper wire brassies) as droppers and a small (16 or 18 with a small bead) soft hackle on point. Cast out and slow figure 8 retrieve then vary it with short strips etc

2. Floating line, normal leader. Small unweighted white death stripped just beneath the surface - vary the retrieve

"Rises" at night are often fish bulging while eating midges in the surface film.

good luck, let us know what works
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Jasper; Are you fishing Wet or Dry??

Had a similar experience on the UMzimkhulu near Underberg many years ago. Switched to a Dry Coch-y-Bundhu and had a ball.

If you can see the trout's nose break the surface Go Dry! Have Fun.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

I'm in agreement with Darryl regarding rising fish in the evenings = midges most probably.
    They may well be doing the egg laying thing sending fish into the frenzy.
    I'd also be inclined to try an 16-18 Adams dry or if that's a bit daunting, a marabou cripple with a dropper underneath.
    That black gnat is also a good suggestion.

There is also the emerging caddis though scenario, but having said that you'd be able to identify these sources easily and fish accordingly.
    Again, try an emerger pattern that sits just in the surface film.
    You have to fish slowly with the occasional tiny lift and drop.

Other than that I don't know what to suggest.

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on.

I had a lot of success with a size 12 DDD in the evening when the fish are rising, it must be tied correctly and must be dressed with floatant correctly as well, what I have noticed is that a fly that is incorrectly dressed with floatant will very seldom illicit a take from a trout (The fly sits lopsided), use a silicone based floatant and make sure that you are holding the hooks bend and point closed, work the floatant properly into the fly material, remove any excess floatant from the fly and wipe the hooks eye as well to make sure no floatant is on it, you will notice that the fly sits perfectly straight and high on the water and it will look very appealing to the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Maybe you are to old to cast far enough...? :biggrin:
    HAHAHAHAH young man!!!! ... any time you need casting lessons you have my number! :biggrin:
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    I'm in agreement with Darryl regarding rising fish in the evenings = midges most probably.
    They may well be doing the egg laying thing sending fish into the frenzy.
    I'd also be inclined to try an 16-18 Adams dry or if that's a bit daunting, a marabou cripple with a dropper underneath.
    That black gnat is also a good suggestion.

There is also the emerging caddis though scenario, but having said that you'd be able to identify these sources easily and fish accordingly.
    Again, try an emerger pattern that sits just in the surface film.
    You have to fish slowly with the occasional tiny lift and drop.

Other than that I don't know what to suggest.

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on.
    Thanks - but why should I ifnd the 16-18 Adams daunting? :biggrin: ... my biggest RBT was on a number 20 dry fly

Thanks for the information gents ... seems a nymph/emerger is the way to go (interspersed with using a dry fly. I will let you know how it works at Millstream next week