Thread: Slovenia Video

Default Slovenia Video

Just got back from a week long trip to Slovenia with my brother in law, and he made this short vid:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxHndd-hUdg

Great vid and some beautiful water!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Very nice video, thanks, bringing some memories.....
    Former Yugoslavia was one of the most beautiful country in the World.

We used to travel without visa to 147 countries out of 153 countries, at the time -members of UN .
    On the black market Yugoslavian passport was worth anything up to 10.000 Deutschland Marks(today's Euro) at that time ...

My family went to holidays on Adriatic Sea , since 1961 , when I was 6 years old, especially in Istria , which was Slovenian part.
    All those "Sea " holidays" were great opportunity for mu late Father to get and do some Fly Fishing on beautiful Slovenian Rivers.
    Actually , I can tell you that I've learn FF on Slovenian Rivers with my Father and his Slovenian friends ...Soca, Idrijica etc....

In that time, FF was almost free of charge, because there were only few Fly Fisherman's though .

Dr Fratnik, inventor of F Fly, was our family friend, and one of my Father closest friend ever.
    I remember my Father, being a Veterinarian, collecting Wild Ducks CDC feathers from his hunters friends during a Winter , and bringing it In July/August (Summer in Yugoslavia) to Uncle Marjan, as I used to call Dr Fratnik.

CDC flies were some kind of secret for almost 100 years or so.
    Only with our Swiss friend, Marc Pettit Jean , CDC flies coming from Bosnian and Slovenian Rivers , that secret get revealed to the public in the late 1990 ... but even Today, people do not know how to properly tie CDC fly !

However, today, Slovenia is one of the most expensive FF destinations in Europe and probably the best one, especially for CDC's and some streamers for
    indigenous Marble Trout....subject for another story...

After the War(s) kindly arranged by Nazi/Fascistoid USA Government , I've done lots of FF trips to Bosnia and Slovenia , since cowboys did't managed to destroy our small Yugoslavian FF community , even they managed to destroy Yugoslavia, the last independent country in the New History after Christ.

Anyway, during a time, Slovenian waters becomes too expensive and too much occupied by Italians and French guys mostly, so I am doing Bosnia in the last few years, there are some stunning Rivers and Lakes .... not so expensive , with less pressure ....

Sorry if I ripped your thread, but your video triggered my memories....thanks again for that

Cheers,
    Zoran
    Last edited by Zoran; 24-05-14 at 07:00 PM.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Great vid and some nice trout!

Cheers, thanks guys. Zoran, I must admit that I don't think 230 Euros for a five day fishing license is excessive, considering that some 'bucket list' destinations will cost you between $5-10k per person excluding flights, for a 7 day trip. All in, flights, car hire, licenses, food, and accommodation set us back 1,000 Euros each (granted we were already in the UK, so no SA to Europe flight included). While I'm sure it's much more expensive than it was some years ago, by today's standards it's very reasonable. Glad it brought back some memories!

Stunning, really stunning.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Blog Entries

Awesome video Frenchie! Looks properly out of this world. Let me know if you are ever back up in Euro for fishing, would love to join you guys.

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/