Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Salty Kit - Fly Only.

Serious ammo you have there.
    Baie mooi
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Would you believe me if I told you that the Xi3 and MHX has very little between them.

1. The blank tapers are very similar
    2. The wall thicknesses are very similar
    3. Noticeable difference is the blue on the Xi3. Sand that down and you won't be able to tell them apart.
    4. Casting in windy conditions this morning, I could not decided which I liked more. It's much of the same really.

Being a tackle tart, I am leaning towards the Xi3, however the MHX did not disappoint me and if I were on a budget the MHX would be my choice.

If I was blind folded I would not have been able to tell them apart on casting alone.
    The purists aren't going to like this, but I must agree with the Yanks that these MHX Blanks are as good as they say they are.
    I like that feedback! I have been wary of building on a MHX as the only reviews are from the Yanks and I dont trust them always. Probably something to do with their recent occupations. But I have been very intrested in the MHX blanks, especially their Switch Blanks.

Think a Mudhole order might be in order soon
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Serious ammo you have there.
    Baie mooi
    Thanks Korra

Koos
    Dit is veel meer plesierig om na die vakmanskap te kyk en te lees, as om ander threads te lees, waar verkleinering en sleg se^ die hoofdoel is van die posts. Plaas eerder nog fotos van stokke vir ons. Ek sal dit waardeer.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I will show you pics of something meant for Grunter a little later this week.

Some seriously nice looking kit there. Wish I had a use for such a rod...but hey, but can always admire a job well done.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Awesome builds Koos!

Koos

You say the Xi-3 and MHX are similar. Have you measured the swing weight of each?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Koos

You say the Xi-3 and MHX are similar. Have you measured the swing weight of each?
    Neil no my math sucks. Building them and looking at the blanks I could see that the taper is very similar as were the wall thickness. And by what you can see here the Xi3 and MHX is built almost exactly and when I casted them I could not decide which were better as they felt exactly the same in hand and they did exactly the same thing when casting. I did not cast further with the Sage than what I did with the MHX. If I could cast a full fly line, well then I might have seen a difference or it would just have shown how crap a caster I am.

What I am interested in is to take a rod like MHX and a premium and to sand everything off and to hand them to a guide or someone that fishes more than I do currently and to let them tell me afterwards which they prefer. I think this might make for some interesting reading because people are very loyal to certain brands.

On this build I honestly liked the MHX more and it is not just because of how it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Awesome builds Koos!
    Thanks Mike. Good to hear from you. I actually had you on my mind the other day.
    Hope all is well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast