Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning Swimming Pool into BassPond

Default Turning Swimming Pool into BassPond

I'm fed up with the swimming pool shlep. Kids have their own pool now and is used vey little. It is quite large - in excess od 169KL. Anybody gone this route and have any tips or experience to share?

This could be an interesting project.Never seen it done before so look forward to what you decide and do

I know of a guy in Kempton Park that went that route.
    In USA, some guys grow trout in their pool in the winter months.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

My school used to do this and through bass in for a school competition. I never actually got to see it myself, but I heard from the old teachers it was a lot of fun. Through in some structure and see if you can get a natural equilibrium going.

Here is a link to guys in CT who make them: http://www.naturalswimmingpools.co.za/home.shtml
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Blog Entries

Jeez, how cool would that be hey...my problem is, it will start with the pool and then later the whole yard...I will then be telling people I have a lake house...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

a good friend of mine did this in Houghton. Just stop adding chemicals - in a few months the water will be suitable for sustaining life! .... He used his for Tilapia - it worked very well
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

I have seen a couple of guys that turned their swimming pool into a Koi pond so it should work.

Zambezi, please keep us updated.

A friend and I have done a lot of thinking about this, but never convinced his mom to let us use her pool.

Some ideas if you are going to add bass:
    Add structure - the crates that you get quarts in are good for this as they will provide shelter for small fish as well as invertebrates. Add some rocks as well. Given the size of your pool (looks like 16x6.5m), you have have lots of space for different structure. Maybe add a 44 gallon drum.
    Keep the filter going - I presume you will want clear water, not nasty green soup. Beware of excess nitrates. My estimate is that it will take around 6 months for the water to stabilise. And probably 2 years before everything is perfect.
    Have both tilapia and bass - this creates a more naturally-sustaining ecosystem
    Create a gravel bed in the shallow end (about 1m deep). You can use one of those plastic kids sandpits for this to keep the gravel in place.
    Put some potplants in for oxygen. I like lilypads, also maybe get some water weed.
    You will likely need some additional oxygen source, the easiest way is with one of those pool gobbler goodies that also help keep leaves off the surface.
    Try get a light to position over the water in one corner to attract insects which can then become food for the fish. a timer with 2 hours per evening should be more than enough.

Thanks guys - will keep you updated.

Blog Entries

If I can add, old tires serve as great cover for bass as well.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast