Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Sage rods coming...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ya some of the older slow Sages are quite nice. Although the 0wt TXL, I wouldn't really rate as a slow rod. The 2wt ESN, Has an action all of its own, and I wouldn't rate is as slow either, although it has an element to it that could be called slow, but it depends how you fish it. The other two you mention, I cant comment on. One thing is quite certain with the new Sages compared to the older ones, is the recovery rate, response, and tip sensitivity... you just don't find that in the old Sages. Very difficult to compare the old and the new... and I think that goes for most rod manufacturers, not just sage. Some of the older TFO,s for instance are rubbish compared to some of the newer ones... but again, that's my opinion based on my own experience. The LL and the SPL were great rods, as was the SLT, but the SP...naaah... I think its a bit of a dog, had no life in it... like a dead stick, but hey... who am I?
    You are the guy that liked the 99!

The newer rods are definitely not slow. The ESN is just strange, I am not a fan of casting it far, but you cannot beat it for nymphing, both in the Cape and in the NEC. It just handles long leaders so well. The SPL, it is by far my favourite casting rod. I love it. So much soul. The SP can be a bit soft for the applications I use it for, but I got it for a bargain in my opinion. I have this ridiculous Hardy 6ft 2wt Flyweight - Its completely useless in most places besides the really bushed up Siskei and Transkei streams, where it comes into its own.
    Last edited by JadeDsantos; 20-06-14 at 01:19 PM.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Yup... I love the 99, possibly my favourite rod in its niche, also not a slow rod, but more of a middle action with a stiffer but sensitive tip. Its the advantage of Sages technology in being able to produce a tip with such a thin diameter, yet maintaining its rigidity that enables them to do this with the 99.
    You right about the ESN, but then it isn't designed to cast a conventional flyline.. Its designed particularly for The European style nymphing, so yes, in its application, and with the long leader you speak of, its unbeatable. Sages new generation technology in rod manufacture and design, makes for some very versatile tapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    You are the guy that liked the 99!

The newer rods are definitely not slow. The ESN is just strange, I am not a fan of casting it far, but you cannot beat it for nymphing, both in the Cape and in the NEC. It just handles long leaders so well. The SPL, it is by far my favourite casting rod. I love it. So much soul. The SP can be a bit soft for the applications I use it for, but I got it for a bargain in my opinion. I have this ridiculous Hardy 6ft 2wt Flyweight - Its completely useless in most places besides the really bushed up Siskei and Transkei streams, where it comes into its own.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345