Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interesting 5wt shootout

Also love my 3wt Z axis for stream work. Nice dry fly rod, but too stiff in the tip for nymphing the way I like to do it., but a lovely rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I too have a (9 ft) 3at Z-Axis and absolutely love the rod. As to the Hardy Zenith (2nd in this test by one point), I have a 10 ft 3wt which is the best light rod I have ever used. Everyone who has ever tried mine has also loved, or at least liked it, including those who do not like long rods. Just bought myself a 10 ft 7at Zenith (super light @ 3.5 oz/100g) for serious Stillwater (boat) fishing...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Also love my 3wt Z axis for stream work. Nice dry fly rod, but too stiff in the tip for nymphing the way I like to do it., but a lovely rod.
    I used my 5wt Z-Axis...not that I am a guru in any way...but geepers, that rod is superb!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by ggy View Post
    just bought myself a 10 ft 7wt zenith (super light @ 3.5 oz/100g) for serious stillwater (boat) fishing...
    from where!!?!?!?!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Not sure why they hated the Redington Vapen so much. I cast a 9'6" 6wt and I thought it was fantastic. It throws a line miles effortlessly (ok I only cast it distance).
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

I suspect it was more to do with the looks than the rod... cant really hide that grip so it was the only rod in the test that wasn't judged purely on performance.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Not sure why they hated the Redington Vapen so much. I cast a 9'6" 6wt and I thought it was fantastic. It throws a line miles effortlessly (ok I only cast it distance).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I suspect it was more to do with the looks than the rod... cant really hide that grip so it was the only rod in the test that wasn't judged purely on performance.
    Just because the 9 1/2 6wt casts fine, does not mean the 9ft 5wt will, or even that the 6wt Vapen is anywhere as good as an equivalent Zenith or Helios. You have to do like on like blind tests to be able to remove the subjective element.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    from where!!?!?!?!
    The Zenith is the first rod that makes me want to cast it, after reading the review.
    And contemplating to buy it, before even casting it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Just because the 9 1/2 6wt casts fine, does not mean the 9ft 5wt will, or even that the 6wt Vapen is anywhere as good as an equivalent Zenith or Helios. You have to do like on like blind tests to be able to remove the subjective element.
    True. I did cast the Zenith and it was absolutely insane.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Purely on Casting
    An interesting test by Sexlyloops
    http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/8rod.shtml
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Now this is a good test..Its incredible that the rods were a max of 1m apart in distance average.Now what would be really interesting would be if you took rods of different price brackets like say a sage tcx against a tfo bvk.There is probably 3-4k difference in price with maybe a 2-4m difference in length,if that..This would make for an interesting local test i would say.
    That said,i guess at the end even though they might all cast the same length its more about how it gets there:-)Its like comparing a m3 and a lamborgini,both get to the destination,its just how quickly or comfortably you wanna do it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast