Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: NEMBA regulations documents

Andre, the river rehab project is funded by the World Bank. I doubt whether funding will ever be an issue......

I heard from Deon R that the World Bank only funded the EIA, and even the amount of funding received wasn't enough to do it properly. The funding for the project has to come from local funding... perhaps things have changed since I was told this, as it was spoken about on the Honorary Rangers course, and that was several years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Andre, the river rehab project is funded by the World Bank. I doubt whether funding will ever be an issue......
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I heard from Deon R that the World Bank only funded the EIA, and even the amount of funding received wasn't enough to do it properly. The funding for the project has to come from local funding... perhaps things have changed since I was told this, as it was spoken about on the Honorary Rangers course, and that was several years ago.
    "Impson added that a comprehensive EIA would be done before any action was taken because the World Bank, which is supplying the funding, demands it."

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...1#.U7bdsPmSxDA
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Hmmm ok, but this is 6 years old, and said that the project would start "next summer", which would have been 2009. six years later, nothing has happened, and I doubt if anything ever will.
    The alien fish part of the NEMBA, is a tiny miniscule part of the act, so to expect that the World bank would fund the entire implementation of the act, is laughable.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hmmm ok, but this is 6 years old, and said that the project would start "next summer", which would have been 2009. six years later, nothing has happened, and I doubt if anything ever will.
    The alien fish part of the NEMBA, is a tiny miniscule part of the act, so to expect that the World bank would fund the entire implementation of the act, is laughable.
    i wouldn't call two rotenone treatments of the Rondegat and a fish removal project on the Cederberg Krom "nothing"! CN have the funding and an extensive list of rivers that they will be treating. The next batch will probably start in summer as that is when the flows are lowest. I expect to see multiple treatments this summer.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Yes, its not nothing, I agree, but in the grand scheme of things, in the context of the number of anglers using these two rivers for trout fishing, compared with out total resources in the Western Cape, and Rhodes area, the midlands and Mpumalanga.... its such a small fraction of our accessable trout fishing, that its really not an issue, and taken into context of the time frames over which this has happened, is really nothing to worry about in my opinion. I doubt that a total eradication of alien fish is even possible, given the vast scale of the infestations in the various systems in these areas.
    I think the panic since this was first mooted many years ago, has proven to be unjustified. Trout are here to stay.

Yes, its not nothing, I agree, but in the grand scheme of things, in the context of the number of anglers using these two rivers for trout fishing, compared with out total resources in the Western Cape, and Rhodes area, the midlands and Mpumalanga.... its such a small fraction of our accessable trout fishing, that its really not an issue, and taken into context of the time frames over which this has happened, is really nothing to worry about in my opinion. I doubt that a total eradication of alien fish is even possible, given the vast scale of the infestations in the various systems in these areas.
    I think the panic since this was first mooted many years ago, has proven to be unjustified. Trout are here to stay.

Andre, with respect, that's like arguing its fine as long as they don't do it in the river that I fish often...

I seriously doubt you will have the same attitude if you owned property on the Krom or Rondegat.

The next 4 rivers to be targeted for "management" include the Krom in Limietberg. (Smalblaar tributary) Rotenone will probably not be used but a catch and kill policy for trout will be instituted along with the possible construction of a weir.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Well, trout made it into the paper today again, and this time not in a defensive way:

The homicidial habits of trout: http://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/homic...6#.U7o_dbZxR2c
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3