Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faced with new stillwater

Black Woolly on a sinker the quickest way to elicit a strike!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Black Woolly on a sinker the quickest way to elicit a strike!
    I actually do have those in my flybox (as well as some olive ones)
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Hey Andre ( from another Andre!)

Platon and I fished this dam about a year ago perhaps... its a beautiful piece of water, but in all honesty, we struggled, and we never even elicited a bump, never mind land a fish...

That being said, Platon has caught there in the past, so there definitely are fish in it, and some great looking water... the area to the right of the cottage, has some lovely shallows and weed backs, and all that palmate will definitely have the fish chasing terrestrials in the summer time.... but we found it tricky in the winter conditions we fished...

If you have access to a boat or canoe of some kind, I'd say its essential!

Also note that there is no oven at the cottage... or fireplace if I remember correctly, so be prepared for the cold!!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Hey Andre,

Thanks for the heads up I am actually organising a small, ark fishduc type inflatable for use on the dam (apparently they do have a canoe, but they are unstable at best) and now the gas heater for swambo and mini-swambo.

I will pack the white mussel and the 110H as well - all else fails I will target gallies at Pearly Beach

Is the shore easily accessible all over or only on one side?
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Buzzers on a floating line, is a very good option.
    The one natural food source that all caged trout knows are buzzers.
    If fast retrieve blobs etc works and you get tired or want to try something new, go the buzzer route.
    Or sometimes, the the fast retrieve blobs/wooly buggers dont work, try the buzzers.
    Try to fish with the wind in your back, so that the floating line will always be straight in front of you.
    Sometimes, when fishing buzzers, the fish will take it very soft and gentle, other times it is a feeding frenzy and they snap and gulp at anything.
    Enjoy
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Korrie, I will try that as well
    André

Fly fishing noob

Just a little feedback.

Me, swambo and mini-swambo had a lovely time at Nieuwendam Cottage - despite gale-force NW'lies and pouring rain putting paid to any troot fishing plans I might have had. You could surf in some of the "waves" on the dam.

Sunday morning dawned overcast and crisp with not a breath of wind and a mirror like dam lying like a big, black oil slick in front of the cottage. Grabbed the 5wt and headed down with my arsenal of flies. Had a couple of trout almost at my feet taking something just below surface - needless to say nothing in my fly box could even entice them to come and take a look.

Couple of pointers for my next visit:

1. Get some sort of inflatable to row out onto the dam with
    2. Learn to cast!!! - properly
    3. If flies fail - use dynamite

We will definitely go back - when its a bit warmer and a bit more temperate climate. My little 2yo daughter loved seeing the trout being fed in the cages, as well as all the cows and sheep on the farm. Not to mention the spiders she found in the cottage LOL
    André

Fly fishing noob

Thanks for the feedback.!

I have a 2 year old too and looking for places I can take the family.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.!

I have a 2 year old too and looking for places I can take the family.
    I'm sure your 2yo will love it, but do go when its warmer - ours got "cabin fever" having had to be indoors due to the rain and wind. The cottage has 3 bedrooms (2 x double beds; 1 with two single beds) so next time I will take friends along that also have kids the same age as our daughter - they tend to entertain each other
    André

Fly fishing noob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12