Thread: New to the forum... and relatively still new to fly fishing

Default New to the forum... and relatively still new to fly fishing

Actually had a friend introduce me to fly fishing about 4 year ago. Unfortunately they left SA shores for greener grass in Aus... and about two years ago I decided it was time to get my own gear and learn how to fly fish.

All things considered I am still a newby, since my time logged on the water is not that much to be perfectly honest. It is a bit difficult with a one year old running around the house and no parents that live close by that can keep an eye on her.

Have had mixed success to be honest. Did not catch my first fish till my 8th outing on water, but have caught a number of fish and different species.
    Including:
    Small mouth yellow: 1.7kg
    Barbel: 5.2kg
    Carp: 6.6kg
    Muddy: 1.8kg
    Bass: 1.6kg

Funny enough I have only once had the chance to try and for trout... and still managed only to catch bass. So no trout on my list so far...

Should probably mention I have joined a social bass club in the Vaal. They all catch with regular bass gear, and I have now started to read and youtube to try and learn as much as possible on catching bass on the fly since no one in the club has done it... and believes that it will not work that well... and I hope to prove them wrong... even if takes me a year or two to master the bass in the Vaal River. I should mention I do not yet have a boat of float tube, and normally go out with some of the people I know. Have used their bass gear so far, but I now want to start with my fly gear during the next outing.

Most of my fishing is done waiding at places below the barrage. Since I am still learning... and learning a lot... I joined to forum to learn form the more experienced fly fishers. Have not had the oppertunity to learm from someone on a day out, but I try to pick up as much as possible from other fishers while I am out on the waters.

Welcome,hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome,
    My 2 cents worth regarding bass on fly (and I am by no means an expert) is that, as long as the bass are not holding in very deep water, you can do just as well as the guys fishing lures.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
    Actually had a friend introduce me to fly fishing about 4 year ago. Unfortunately they left SA shores for greener grass in Aus... and about two years ago I decided it was time to get my own gear and learn how to fly fish.

All things considered I am still a newby, since my time logged on the water is not that much to be perfectly honest. It is a bit difficult with a one year old running around the house and no parents that live close by that can keep an eye on her.

Have had mixed success to be honest. Did not catch my first fish till my 8th outing on water, but have caught a number of fish and different species.
    Including:
    Small mouth yellow: 1.7kg
    Barbel: 5.2kg
    Carp: 6.6kg
    Muddy: 1.8kg
    Bass: 1.6kg

Funny enough I have only once had the chance to try and for trout... and still managed only to catch bass. So no trout on my list so far...

Should probably mention I have joined a social bass club in the Vaal. They all catch with regular bass gear, and I have now started to read and youtube to try and learn as much as possible on catching bass on the fly since no one in the club has done it... and believes that it will not work that well... and I hope to prove them wrong... even if takes me a year or two to master the bass in the Vaal River. I should mention I do not yet have a boat of float tube, and normally go out with some of the people I know. Have used their bass gear so far, but I now want to start with my fly gear during the next outing.

Most of my fishing is done waiding at places below the barrage. Since I am still learning... and learning a lot... I joined to forum to learn form the more experienced fly fishers. Have not had the oppertunity to learm from someone on a day out, but I try to pick up as much as possible from other fishers while I am out on the waters.
    Hi GavinD

Welkom by die forum. Jy kleinbek geles wil vang, laat weet my, ek nie te ver van jou af nie, onder 120km. Hoop jy geniet dit hier.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    Hi GavinD

Welkom by die forum. Jy kleinbek geles wil vang, laat weet my, ek nie te ver van jou af nie, onder 120km. Hoop jy geniet dit hier.
    Baie dankie Dirk. Ek het `n waider, maar nog nooit in die winter gevang nie. Sal graag saam met jou wil gaan en leer by jou.

Waar gaan vang jy meestal? Die gewone plekke waar ek gaan visvang het al is hoofsaaklik by Silver Strome en by Geelvis Paradys. Het al die waters by Parys ook aangedurf, maar net `n paar kleintjies daar gevang al. Ek is oop vir enige plek solank ek net kan leer.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
    Baie dankie Dirk. Ek het `n waider, maar nog nooit in die winter gevang nie. Sal graag saam met jou wil gaan en leer by jou.

Waar gaan vang jy meestal? Die gewone plekke waar ek gaan visvang het al is hoofsaaklik by Silver Strome en by Geelvis Paradys. Het al die waters by Parys ook aangedurf, maar net `n paar kleintjies daar gevang al. Ek is oop vir enige plek solank ek net kan leer.

Gavin
    Ek sal jou 'n lyn gooi sodra die sigbaarheid verbeter en temperatuur konstant bo 12C gaan diekant, want dan vang mens hulle makliker. Ons beleef tans ons koudste winter in jare (sommige grysbaarde in dorp sÍ dis koudste in 20jaar) en hengel het drasties verswak weens koue en geheimsinnige bruinwater wat so week plus verskyning gemaak het. Ek het dit aan Gauteng en Vrystaat DWAF gerapporteer en ook aan SAVE, maar wag nog vir terugvoering. Die waters wat ek hengel val in die Bothaville/Viljoenskroon area. Sal jou PM stuur met my kontak details.

Groetnis.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Hi and welcome , the forum is very informative and the guys on here help where they can