Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Old Vs new technology

Blog Entries

Default Old Vs new technology

How do you perceive a R3k, say medium fast, premium rod of 20 or even 10 years ago compared to a medium fast, budget rod, of today. Surely the new technology of 10 years ago becomes cheaper over time.

Would it be possible that todays average priced rod for example a Greys GRXI is as good as a 15 year old Sage RPL.

I understand that flyrod technology is not changing as fast as digital cameras or electronics for that matter but surely with the amount of "copying" these days there must be some really good rods around at a fraction of the price of the "original."

Who knows maybe just like reels are, some "old" rods are even rebranded. It is not like the nymphers would know the difference anyway

Nothing stops Hardy to market some old left overs in the back as Greys or locally some left over Infinity blanks as Featherlites.

Rod technology might not be changing very fast but I personally do think the fast rods of 10 years ago would probably be classified as medium fast today. Like I said to someone the other day - glass rods bring weer die romantiek terug in flyfishing. As with most things in life it is just so much better if you do it slowly.

I think you have just answered the question "BUT I JUST BOUGHT ME Z-AXIS - HOW CAN THEY HAVE A NEW ROD TO REPLACE IT ALREADY??? GRRRRRRR!!!!".

Gotta keep ahead of the pack..
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

There was a rod test that I read the other day.
    The one rod in the line up was 2 years old and all the testers were of the same opinion, this "old" technology does not fit in with the rest.

Rods have become much lighter.
    Less vibrations
    Quicker recovery etc
    But as you said, a top end rod today, is a mid range in 2 to 4 years time in terms of performance.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

4. Default

I think a lot of people will be very surprised (and shocked) when they find out that the "new" tech is basically a coat of paint along with a new taper, and a thinner blank wall, with not real change in the actual material being used to construct the rod. Sure, there is a lot of new tech being brought in, but they are expensive, very expensive.

Overall, I have turned away from every single "new" thing out there. I have found a couple of things I like and enjoy fishing with, and I'll stick to those for a while.

Like Grant says - gotta keep ahead of the pack, for whichever reason you "have" to ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Yes, for some manfacturers it is just a coat of paint, for others, its a completely new compound of composite materials and a new new method of making rods lighter and with more varied tapers, and not just the boring old progressive tapers of the "old" days
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I think a lot of people will be very surprised (and shocked) when they find out that the "new" tech is basically a coat of paint along with a new taper, and a thinner blank wall, with not real change in the actual material being used to construct the rod. Sure, there is a lot of new tech being brought in, but they are expensive, very expensive.

Overall, I have turned away from every single "new" thing out there. I have found a couple of things I like and enjoy fishing with, and I'll stick to those for a while.

Like Grant says - gotta keep ahead of the pack, for whichever reason you "have" to ....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I was wondering now the day...If they really want to make something completely different why not follow the rock and surf trend and make one rod with 2 different tips,and maybe even mid sections.So you keep the butt and say first section and have spare 3rd and tip sections,one for medium action and one fast.Then simply change the sections as conditions warrant????

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I was wondering now the day...If they really want to make something completely different why not follow the rock and surf trend and make one rod with 2 different tips,and maybe even mid sections.So you keep the butt and say first section and have spare 3rd and tip sections,one for medium action and one fast.Then simply change the sections as conditions warrant????
    "Now the day"???

You do get some rods that have the option. One I recently read about is the TFO BVK 3wt. Changes from 8 foot 3 weight into 10 foot 3 weight. I can't comment on how this conversion is though, but my guess would be that it won't be the best 10 foot 3 weight out there, but it does give you some sort of flexibility.

My 33 year old Sage GFL 7'6" 4wt competes well with my ZXL. As does my LL. The marketing gurus are are constantly playing with parameters to convince the gullible that the latest item is the "must have, hot item" that will transform you into a flyfishing ***. Have to laugh when I read some of the supposed experts replies on threads like this.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    ... why not follow the rock and surf trend and make one rod with 2 different tips,and maybe even mid sections.So you keep the butt and say first section and have spare 3rd and tip sections,one for medium action and one fast.Then simply change the sections as conditions warrant????
    Makes sense

I have an Echo Classic II with two tips that have different tapers, one is marked "D" for distance and the other "A" for accuracy.

I also have the two hand Conversion Kit that turns my single handed TFO TiCrX 9' 8wt into quite a useful double hander of 11'3". Best thing about this idea is that the two sections in the conversion kit are the same length as the normal rod sections so it all fits in my rolling duffle travel bag.

Both these are from about 5-6 years ago.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Rods have become much lighter.
    Less vibrations
    Quicker recovery etc
    Korrie, I had a whirl with a couple of the Sage Method rods a few months back ... and everything you say is true.
    I'm also pleased to say the law of diminishing returns is still intact - there's only a bee's dick in the improvements over the previous models so certainly not worth upgrading in my opinion. But some people have a debilitating identity crisis if they don't have the "new technology" and so maybe the price they pay is worth it for being able to feel normal and fit in again

And then we have the new Salt rod just released that is marketed as being optimised for "todays heavier lines" So I'm confused ... like who made the lines heavier and why? ... before the Salt rod arrived
    The highest form of existence is play.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast