Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Old Vs new technology

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    hi Chris, got a 5wt demon, 3 piece rod. very happy with it considering the small price a paid for it. got it mainly to nymph the vaal but does equally well in still waters for trout. the only bad thing about this rod is the ugliest reel seat ever made. lately i've been looking at the marksman. maybe have a look at them.
    I'm already committed to the Demon bru. The 'ugly' reel seat is a good enough reason to get the dedicated reel I guess
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

lol

I've just read this thread through and there are certainly some strong opinions expressed, especially about the new glass trend and whether or not it has legs, especially when compared with the latest graphites. I was wondering how many of those who came down strongly on the graphite side (i.e. anything glass can do graphite can do better) have actually spent any time casting a top-end glass design like an EPIC? By the way wiggling a Redington Butterstick in a flyshop doesn't count as it tells you nothing useful.

If you haven't cast an EPIC or Steffen or Orvis glass (NRX / One equivalents in the glass world) then you aren't qualified to comment just like I can't comment on the One or NRX because I haven't cast them yet. I grant you for distance and power techniques (Czech nymph/saltwater/stillwater multi-fly) graphite is clearly mechanically superior but from 10' out to 50' dry fly / nymphing old style the best glass is quite possibly better, again for mechanical reasons. Glass loads and unloads more slowly which means you can actually cast a leader and a few feet of flyline - something you will struggle to do with most graphites. For normal river and stream work (i.e. not competition or Czech-style) good glass has the following advantages:

1. Casts close brilliantly and is very accurate
    2. Soft tip protects light tippets
    3. Roll casting is easier
    3. It's tough and can take far more (accidental) abuse than graphite (maybe excluding the nano-resin graphites)
    4. It's purty....

If you don't need (or think you need) a long-casting rod and do most of your fishing inside 50' with a flyline then you really ought to try some good glass before making up your mind that it's just a fad or inferior to the latest graphite innovation. Once you've adjusted your timing and aren't trying to hit the backing knot I guarantee you will have a big smile on your dial... Anyone in the Durban area who wants to try an EPIC 5wt PM me and we'll try to hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by allsorts View Post
    from 10' out to 50' dry fly / nymphing old style the best glass is quite possibly better, again for mechanical reasons. Glass loads and unloads more slowly which means you can actually cast a leader and a few feet of flyline - something you will struggle to do with most graphites. For normal river and stream work (i.e. not competition or Czech-style) good glass has the following advantages:

1. Casts close brilliantly and is very accurate
    2. Soft tip protects light tippets
    3. Roll casting is easier
    3. It's tough and can take far more (accidental) abuse than graphite (maybe excluding the nano-resin graphites)
    4. It's purty....

If you don't need (or think you need) a long-casting rod and do most of your fishing inside 50' with a flyline then you really ought to try some good glass before making up your mind that it's just a fad or inferior to the latest graphite innovation. Once you've adjusted your timing and aren't trying to hit the backing knot I guarantee you will have a big smile on your dial... Anyone in the Durban area who wants to try an EPIC 5wt PM me and we'll try to hook up.
    Agreed. Great post btw!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

4. It's purty....
    Quote from Victor Hugo:

The beautiful is as useful as the useful." He added after a moment’s silence, "Perhaps more so.”
    The highest form of existence is play.

Interesting that Jim Bartschi and Gary Loomis both would pick glass as a major part of their fishing line-up ito personal choice.

http://www.itinerantangler.com/podcasts/podcast66.mp3

http://www.itinerantangler.com/podcasts/podcast62.mp3

And Cam's podcast is also pretty cool - http://www.itinerantangler.com/podcasts/podcast108.mp3
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Incidentally that EPIC 5wt is now in Lakeside and the casting offer still stands...

Incidentally that EPIC 5wt is now in Lakeside and the casting offer still stands...
    I'm a bit far myself, but have fished a #3 Epic.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10