Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cool fishing Kayak

Default Cool fishing Kayak

http://wfishingkayaks.com/europe/sta...fun-in-norway/

I think this might have an application or 2 in SA.
    Very stable.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

some good points listed in this review, to consider when you purchase a fishing vessel

http://newyorkfishingkayaks.com/my-story/
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I saw those when I was looking for a stand up kayak for myself. They look great but I never got so far as to working out how to get them into the country and how much it would cost. I'd also be weary to buy without trying it out.

What I did find was the Freedom Hawk which Xplorer stocks (and I think are currently on special?). They are an incredible boat which I had the privilege of testing for myself. You can read my review here...http://bahaflyfishing.co.za/index.ph...wk-freedom-12/

It was the perfect option for me and only fell short in one aspect, I couldn't load it onto the roof of my car myself. If I'd been able to I'd own one today. I think some of the bigger guys may be able too, but it wasn't an option for me. You can remove the outriggers which should make it easier, but I never got the chance to test this. I'd probably be able to load it onto a trailer, but my roof was simply too high.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Intersting craft that wavewalker, the price seems a tad high for the features you get compared to this...

Diablo-Adios_600-2.jpg

If someone brings these into the country I will sell my right nut for it (my other one is booked for a Sage Xi2 built by Koos) and unfortunatly the Freedom Hawk, SUPfisher or anything else i have found on the interwebs cannot change my mind.

http://www.diablopaddlesports.com/ou...adios_unrigged
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    Intersting craft that wavewalker, the price seems a tad high for the features you get compared to this...

Diablo-Adios_600-2.jpg

If someone brings these into the country I will sell my right nut for it (my other one is booked for a Sage Xi2 built by Koos) and unfortunatly the Freedom Hawk, SUPfisher or anything else i have found on the interwebs cannot change my mind.

http://www.diablopaddlesports.com/ou...adios_unrigged
    Hey Konrad,

Just wondering why you are so sold on this particular boat? Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome. But I'm wondering why you're sold on it over the Freedom Hawk for example. It's appears that it's more expensive, and it also looks less stable with less storage space. On their site there are people standing on it, but not standing and casting a fly.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    Hey Konrad,

Just wondering why you are so sold on this particular boat? Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome. But I'm wondering why you're sold on it over the Freedom Hawk for example. It's appears that it's more expensive, and it also looks less stable with less storage space. On their site there are people standing on it, but not standing and casting a fly.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
    Hi Warren,

Well there are a few things that tickle me of this boat over the Freedom Hawk. Yes its more expensive, but only so much because the freedom hawk had to dropped in price as obviously it is struggling to penetrate the market as projected. But here are the main points I like.

1. SUP and kayak all in one, you sit above water level and not below it like a Freedom Hawk
    2. No need to deploy pontoons as its wider then a Freedom Hawk and has a better hull shape creating better stability. See some videos of this thing in action and you will get a better feel for it.
    3. More space than a Freedom Hawk on the deck as its flat and wide. you can move from front to back of the craft with no worries and not restricted as the Freedom Hawk
    4. Lighter than a Freedom Hawk, only by a little bit.

But when funds are available I will most likely end up with either a SUPfisher with some modifications or a Freedom Hawk as importing that Diablo is a bit much at this stage.
    www.flyordie.co.za

Hi Warren,

Well there are a few things that tickle me of this boat over the Freedom Hawk. Yes its more expensive, but only so much because the freedom hawk had to dropped in price as obviously it is struggling to penetrate the market as projected. But here are the main points I like.

1. SUP and kayak all in one, you sit above water level and not below it like a Freedom Hawk
    2. No need to deploy pontoons as its wider then a Freedom Hawk and has a better hull shape creating better stability. See some videos of this thing in action and you will get a better feel for it.
    3. More space than a Freedom Hawk on the deck as its flat and wide. you can move from front to back of the craft with no worries and not restricted as the Freedom Hawk
    4. Lighter than a Freedom Hawk, only by a little bit.

But when funds are available I will most likely end up with either a SUPfisher with some modifications or a Freedom Hawk as importing that Diablo is a bit much at this stage.
    Just to add to your points:

1. In the Freedom Hawk you do sit above the water. But out of interest...what are the benefits of a SUP over a kayak?
    2. The pontoons deploy in less than a second and made it so stable I couldn't capsize if I tried. I'm not sure a SUP is as stable. But I'd love to try.
    3. The Freedom Hawk has a huge amount of space on the deck with less chance of things washing off. It also has waterproof hatches in the pontoons. Is this not more space?
    4. This is definitely a bonus if it means I could load it onto my roof by myself.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    Just to add to your points:

1. In the Freedom Hawk you do sit above the water. But out of interest...what are the benefits of a SUP over a kayak?
    2. The pontoons deploy in less than a second and made it so stable I couldn't capsize if I tried. I'm not sure a SUP is as stable. But I'd love to try.
    3. The Freedom Hawk has a huge amount of space on the deck with less chance of things washing off. It also has waterproof hatches in the pontoons. Is this not more space?
    4. This is definitely a bonus if it means I could load it onto my roof by myself.
    I have not tested any of these craft, so all my assumptions are based on photos, videos and info on the net and thus I could be completely wrong! You have some experience with the Freedom Hawk, so you could guide me when I go off track. :biggrin:

The reason I like the SUP concept is due to the fact that the entire craft is designed with someone standing on it in mind and the hull and deck shaped to facilitate that. You will see that in most cases you could stand all the way on the nose of a fishing SUP without capsizing, this means you have the almost full use of the deck area where as a kayak has very limited deck area to stand. The deck on a SUP is mostly flat. a flat deck means wind is less likely to influence you on drifts and you have more working area to stand and strip line. But this is also one of its main downsides, the possibility of water washing your line of the deck and getting the rest of your kit wet, less chance on a kayak. Then comes the fact that you have to stand and paddle, I believe this may reduce your speed and distance plus take a big toll on your back (mine definitely). So a kayak takes a win for me over a plain SUP.

Now back to the Diablo Adios, it is a combination of a kayak and SUP that gives you the option to sit or stand and paddle (a Freedom Hawk too I guess) but with the full use of the deck and access to your storage facilities and no pontoons in the way. The other benefit of the Adios is the fact that its storage is similar to a fishing kayak in the fact that it’s recessed in the deck keeping the top of the craft rather flat and low to the water minimizing influence by the wind, plus keeping your kit dry and giving you more working area than a Freedom Hawk. It’s like having best of both worlds in a simple and easy to use manner.

In the end I guess it comes down to what works for you…

But I will most likely end up with a Freedom Hawk when and if the time comes, but if I could choose without limitation then the Adios would be it. :tongue:
    www.flyordie.co.za

I have not tested any of these craft, so all my assumptions are based on photos, videos and info on the net and thus I could be completely wrong! You have some experience with the Freedom Hawk, so you could guide me when I go off track. :biggrin:

The reason I like the SUP concept is due to the fact that the entire craft is designed with someone standing on it in mind and the hull and deck shaped to facilitate that. You will see that in most cases you could stand all the way on the nose of a fishing SUP without capsizing, this means you have the almost full use of the deck area where as a kayak has very limited deck area to stand. The deck on a SUP is mostly flat. a flat deck means wind is less likely to influence you on drifts and you have more working area to stand and strip line. But this is also one of its main downsides, the possibility of water washing your line of the deck and getting the rest of your kit wet, less chance on a kayak. Then comes the fact that you have to stand and paddle, I believe this may reduce your speed and distance plus take a big toll on your back (mine definitely). So a kayak takes a win for me over a plain SUP.

Now back to the Diablo Adios, it is a combination of a kayak and SUP that gives you the option to sit or stand and paddle (a Freedom Hawk too I guess) but with the full use of the deck and access to your storage facilities and no pontoons in the way. The other benefit of the Adios is the fact that its storage is similar to a fishing kayak in the fact that it’s recessed in the deck keeping the top of the craft rather flat and low to the water minimizing influence by the wind, plus keeping your kit dry and giving you more working area than a Freedom Hawk. It’s like having best of both worlds in a simple and easy to use manner.

In the end I guess it comes down to what works for you…

But I will most likely end up with a Freedom Hawk when and if the time comes, but if I could choose without limitation then the Adios would be it. :tongue:
    Some very good points there. I really wish I was in a position where I could test out all of the options. What I like about the SUP (in theory since I haven't tried one) is that I could handle it alone. This would make it viable for me to fish from. I believe there is someone in the Eastern Cape who makes them but I've forgotten his name.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

We have a local guy making great SUP fishing boards:
    Ian Kitching
    http://www.supfisher.co.za/
    bet his prices are going to be far better than anything from overseas...
    Check http://feathersandfluoro.com/2013/06...with-a-flyrod/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast