Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Malgas - Breede River

We use those traps to catch Garrus baramaie here in UAE for our field study trips. They work a dream, and are also good because of the 'up-cycling' nature of using old bottles. The one issue we had was that if you don't check them regularly, they can result in fish deaths because they fill up so quickly and the fish become stressed. Obviously, here we are talking about streams that are dry for 98 % of the year! and the pools we are catching them in are very low in oxygen. In fact these fish are so highly adapted that they are known to climb between pools using special clasps on their mouths. I will see if I can get a pic of one....then again, they are also tiny, between 3 and 10 cm in length....so know chucking a fly at them unfortunately

Here is an example of one...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by beefybovril View Post
    We use those traps to catch Garrus baramaie here in UAE for our field study trips. They work a dream, and are also good because of the 'up-cycling' nature of using old bottles. The one issue we had was that if you don't check them regularly, they can result in fish deaths because they fill up so quickly and the fish become stressed. Obviously, here we are talking about streams that are dry for 98 % of the year! and the pools we are catching them in are very low in oxygen. In fact these fish are so highly adapted that they are known to climb between pools using special clasps on their mouths. I will see if I can get a pic of one....then again, they are also tiny, between 3 and 10 cm in length....so know chucking a fly at them unfortunately
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3