Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pongolo River Tigers: Budget fishing style.

That has less to do with the line than it does with the rod, you can overline any rod, when you overline it by too much, that's when it negatively impacts on the casting. A 6WT line will better load a 5WT rod and not load a 7WT as well as a 7/8WT line will, however ... Overlining a rod is no way to compensate for not being able to cast the rod properly, it's like giving a light delivery vehicle the task of delivering a load suited to a heavy truck : frustrating, and you may end up blowing up the engine.

You said a budget trip, but now you mention Pongola River Company which means you will be fishing below the dam and have clearer water with a more or less constant flow, which is faster than above the dam.

My recommendation would be to ask them what works ito flies.

Natural patterns with less flash works better in clear water conditions, Tigers get fussy when the water is clean.

Take your tabbard.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    I read somewhere that you can actually fish a DI line a weight up and down a size due to it build, is this true? Meaning if you buy a DI5 6# line it would also work on a 5wt and 7wt rod?
    I read the same article by Ted. I have a 7wt di3 which I've chucked around on my 6wt with no noticeable issues

The time that you are going, the dam is fishing normally GREAT.
    It is round about the time of the annual Tiger fish classic as well.
    I have done a number of trips to the dam itself, fishing #6 and 7 rods and lines.
    That is all you need.
    a floater, intermediate and a DI 5, is all you need. even a floater and DI5 will be fine.
    A boat is a must, (crocs and hippos)
    My best flies have been a woolhead mullet or similar type of fly.
    index finger length. I think the round head, gives a better water pushing profile compared to Clousers.
    I normally stay at Pongola Game reserve. They have 5 lodges to choose from and have boats to rent.
    Prices are really well priced,
    HIGHLY recommended.
    So, if the river venue dont work out, try the dam.
    Excellent spot to take the missus along as well, (if you have one or want to. )
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The time that you are going, the dam is fishing normally GREAT.
    It is round about the time of the annual Tiger fish classic as well.
    I have done a number of trips to the dam itself, fishing #6 and 7 rods and lines.
    That is all you need.
    a floater, intermediate and a DI 5, is all you need. even a floater and DI5 will be fine.
    A boat is a must, (crocs and hippos)
    My best flies have been a woolhead mullet or similar type of fly.
    index finger length. I think the round head, gives a better water pushing profile compared to Clousers.
    I normally stay at Pongola Game reserve. They have 5 lodges to choose from and have boats to rent.
    Prices are really well priced,
    HIGHLY recommended.
    So, if the river venue dont work out, try the dam.
    Excellent spot to take the missus along as well, (if you have one or want to. )
    Hi Korrie.

Many thanks. Yes I will take a floating and DI5 line then. Spoke to Peter Calverley from Pongola River Company.....fully booked for August-October. Soonest opening is in November....but did ask to put me on the waiting list should cancellation occur. Jip the SWAMBO will be taken along . He also said there are a lot of rats and mice in that section so I would take 1/0 flies and something a but smaller. For me it is about catching my first striped dog, hoping for a 2-4lb fish, anything bigger would be a bonus. Thanks on the Woolhead mullet.....any chance to get a SBS for it somewhere? Price at R950 full board a day I think is budget fishing for tigers, when Zambezi/ Okavango lodges are asking $250-500 per day.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

The lovely part of Pongola Game Reserve is that there is a beauty clinic at one of the lodges.
    So, if you take Swambo, she can go for the "maak my mooi en pragtig, sodat ek onveruklik is vir hom" treatment.
    They come and collect you with a boat, depending on where you stay, and take you back to your specific lodge.
    Food is great, accomodation is very good.
    Game walks around freely between the chalets/bungalows etc.
    We had 5 different antelopes between the bunglows the last trip plus, wharthogs sleeping under the one bunglow on stilts.
    They have game drives.
    SWAMBO can do a beauty treatment one morning, one morning with you on the boat, game drive the next and sleep late the other.
    Give Marietjie a call or email her.
    They might have a cancellation

Marietjie Rippon
    Pongola Game Reserve
    Tel: 034 435 1123
    Cell: 083 611 9405
    Fax: 034 435 1104
    info@pongolagamereserve.co.za
    www.pongolagamereserve.co.za

You might be lucky with a spot this year.
    You can tell her I refered you.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Plus the boats are provided with a skipper that is very knowledgeable in terms of fly fishing.
    Korrie Broos

I never did say that casting was a negligible part of fly fishing. You have taken something I said, completely out of context. If you would like me to clarify the context, I will gladly do so.
    Im quite happy to be corrected if I am wrong, but will still attempt to advise based on my own personal experiences and opinions, but please don't make me out to be an idiot by your own misunderstanding of the point I was trying to put across.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Well in the context if Barbus13's post it would have been inferred, seeing as he was talking about his 7WT, so duuuh right back at you, braniac.

Saying find the heaviest sinker he can manage without allowing for the rod required to be able to cast it is akin to a comment you made on the forum a few weeks ago where you were saying casting is a negligible part of flyfishing.

Duuuh...
    Last edited by Andre; 19-07-14 at 06:42 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The lovely part of Pongola Game Reserve is that there is a beauty clinic at one of the lodges.
    So, if you take Swambo, she can go for the "maak my mooi en pragtig, sodat ek onveruklik is vir hom" treatment.
    They come and collect you with a boat, depending on where you stay, and take you back to your specific lodge.
    Food is great, accomodation is very good.
    Game walks around freely between the chalets/bungalows etc.
    We had 5 different antelopes between the bunglows the last trip plus, wharthogs sleeping under the one bunglow on stilts.
    They have game drives.
    SWAMBO can do a beauty treatment one morning, one morning with you on the boat, game drive the next and sleep late the other.
    Give Marietjie a call or email her.
    They might have a cancellation

Marietjie Rippon
    Pongola Game Reserve
    Tel: 034 435 1123
    Cell: 083 611 9405
    Fax: 034 435 1104
    info@pongolagamereserve.co.za
    www.pongolagamereserve.co.za

You might be lucky with a spot this year.
    You can tell her I refered you.
    Hi Korrie.

Many thanks will keep it as back-up should the river trip not realise. Thanks also on the SWAMBO things to do list . Out of interest, you remember the rates for the boat/guide for a full and half day maybe? As far as I know the Pongola reserve has 4 of the big 5? Lion excluded. The looking pretty thing.....can I phone you after 9 months and thank you for no.3? :tongue:
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I have fished with the Pongola River Company water. The river below the dam is a completely different animal to above it. Comparing chocolate to the river-equivalent of Sterkies.

I used my 7 weight TFO BVK and used a 300 grain line. I was able to cast it fine for an entire day, no issues. Its a little more work but I found the positives to outweigh the negatives.

There are some very deep sections and drop offs that you just will not be able to fish adequately without a fast sinking line. You may not need to go to a 300 grain but an intermediate will just end up frustrating you. You wont be able to get down to the good drops offs where the big fish lie as easily and there are spots where you need to get the fly down quick.

Having said that having a floater with some poppers is awesome fun in the late afternoon's so don't forget that either.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    Hi Korrie.

Many thanks will keep it as back-up should the river trip not realise. Thanks also on the SWAMBO things to do list . Out of interest, you remember the rates for the boat/guide for a full and half day maybe? As far as I know the Pongola reserve has 4 of the big 5? Lion excluded. The looking pretty thing.....can I phone you after 9 months and thank you for no.3? :tongue:
    The best will be to give Marietjie a call or email for the latest rates.
    Sorry found it
    RATES 2014
    Valid until 31 October 2014
    Adults /p/n sharing R895.00
    Adults /p/n single R1050.00
    Children u/12 /p/n sharing R475.00

For boats the best will be to check with Marietjie
    Last edited by Korrie; 21-07-14 at 07:32 AM.
    Korrie Broos

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast