Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Pongolo River Tigers: Budget fishing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Im not sure how you would de barb a tiger fish fly, I have tried to do this unsuccessfully, I think you need some kind of stainless steel file r grinder to do this.. Maybe he can shake the fly out, and yes, I have also lost a wire trace to a tiger, but you must admit, there sure is less of a chance of a bite off with the wire, otherwise they wouldn't be used. Some of the lodges in the Okavango, and chobe where I have fished, don't allow the people to fish without wire, so there definatly is an awareness that the fish are at risk. Hey its your choice, but I wouldn't do it, even if it meant a few less fish, and I wouldn't advocate the practice to as being "ok" to fellow flyfishermen, especially to those of limited experience with tigers.. That's my choice.
    Erm, a pair of pliers?
    I don't buy the argument that fishing without wire on fly somehow is more dangerous to the fishes survival, even if the fish is hooked deep it will have a better chance of survival if it bites you off than if it has too go through a long fight and you then attempt to remove the hook. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by tombosis View Post
    Tigers generally set the hook themselves, they are so bloody fast there is hardly time to react.
    I don't know about that, maybe the rats will set the hooks themselves but once you reach double digits this is not the case, I lost plenty of fish once you give them the slightest bit of gap, or once they jump and open their mouths

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    I don't know about that, maybe the rats will set the hooks themselves but once you reach double digits this is not the case, I lost plenty of fish once you give them the slightest bit of gap, or once they jump and open their mouths
    I agree with u Edd, a couple of strip strikes once they are on. I find the rats a lot more difficult to hook than the larger fish.

Im defnatly doing something wrong. I cant debard those large hooks with a pliers, just seems to break off the point of the barb.
    I will stand by my opinion that it is safer for the fish to have a wire trace. If you think otherwise... hey... your opinion, but why do almost all the guides not allow it to be done without wire.
    As for tigers setting the hook themselves.... not sure about that, never had a tiger on the hook that disdnt need to be struck.. Even the small ones need the hook to be set.,
    Quote Originally Posted by tombosis View Post
    Erm, a pair of pliers?
    I don't buy the argument that fishing without wire on fly somehow is more dangerous to the fishes survival, even if the fish is hooked deep it will have a better chance of survival if it bites you off than if it has too go through a long fight and you then attempt to remove the hook. To each his own.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    As for tigers setting the hook themselves.... not sure about that, never had a tiger on the hook that disdnt need to be struck.. Even the small ones need the hook to be set.,
    It's a function of the hook, sharp hooks with a low amount of give in the curve simply penetrate better due to more efficient transfer of the penetrating power into the hook point, that's why I like the B10S, relatively thin gauge when considering the hook size, very strong and ultra sharp points.

The rats have softer mouth parts and unless they nip the tail, they usually engulf the fly and the hook sets through properly, the bigger fish are significantly harder in the bony sections and you have to set the hook hard and actively, otherwise that first jump usually results in a great feeling of ecstasy and a massive feeling of disappointment as you see your fly arching towards you right after being spat out.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hi Guys,

I have friend who inquired about a tiger trip to Jozini with his dad and some friends. Not knowing much about the dam or fished it before, is it worth doing a trip there in terms of quality fishing? What I have read about the dam it can be a temperamental venue with too much netting, at times very bad viz etc.

Viz during low levels are a very real problem, like at the moment. The banks are so low and exposed it has little to no vegetation to protect it from water and wind, thus high suspended sediment in the water.

To put it in simple terms. Everyone I know that fishes the dam often hasn't done trips since August due to this. It may be worth giving the guys at Shayamoya Lodge a call for a update just to make sure though as I haven't heard any news in months due to the above.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

I was there in October last year.
    Had decent fishing.
    I have done many trips to Jozini over the last 15 years.
    If there is good rains in the catchment area, you can struggle with viz.
    A boat is a must, and a good skipper helps that knows the dam and something about fishing.
    I can recommend Pongola Game Reserve.
    Good accomodation, good boats and skippers that know their part of the dam.
    What is very important is that if you do not find fish in 20 minutes MOVE to another spot.
    again, no fish in 20 minutes move. Sometimes a move of 100meters can make a big difference.
    It is useless to cast to an area with the hope of finding the lone big fish.
    Find the shoals of smaller fish and you are bound to find a bigger one amongst them.
    FLIES ARE VERY IMPORTANT.
    I have had the best results with brush flies.
    My success with clousers and deceivers have been almost non existent.
    Take 20 or 30 white Frizz fibre bait fish flies http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...Fiber-Baitfish
    Take 5 or 6 permanent markers and try different colors.
    My best colors have been blue back, with bit of green in lateral line and red gills.
    If you do get a bit of tail wrap, no problem, untangle and carry-on.
    These flies are industructable. I had up to 30 tiger fish on a fly.

If you want more info, let me know
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thank you for the info guys, appreciate it, will pass it on.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9