Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of nominations.

Default In need of nominations.

Hi Guys

I want to ask everyone for some help please.
    I remember my youngster days when I was still in school, had no money and all I wanted to do was fish. Every cent I had went towards fly fishing. I was never a snob that got everything I wanted instead I had to work and save for it.

I grew up on Bo-Vlakte some of you may know the place, I might have even fished with some off you. And growing up there helped me meet the biggest legends in the Fly Fishing business and these guys helped me allot. They were never too stingy to share some tippet or a fly or a reel. Tom Sutcliffe even gave me his waders!! And their knowledge was always freely available.

These people taught me allot in all aspects not just fishing.

What I am getting at is I don't reside in SA anymore. All grown up I now work in Indonesia and will be stalking the flats very shortly. Most of my fresh water gear is still at home and seeing that I wont be using it anymore I want to give it away.

The goal is not to give it away to someone that can afford it (sorry) I want to give it to a youngster that has a crazy passion for the sport. Someone who deserve a break in life. Its not much. If I remember its about 3 rods 3 reels with lines. Waders. V-boat, flippers. Flies nets etc.

If anyone has someone in mind please let me know. Ill also try an organise a day trip to Bo-vlakte with the new owner of my gear, if I may use it one last time.

Speak to Maddy Rich ("fishwhisperer" on this forum) He has a development programm that trains and coaches youngsters, some of them from underpriviledged communities. The competition structures of the individual competition provinces have these development programms in place, and there is a lot of collection of second hand fly fishing stuff that is done by the comptition provinces. Korrie is also involved in this, speak to him also.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumi View Post
    Hi Guys

I want to ask everyone for some help please.
    I remember my youngster days when I was still in school, had no money and all I wanted to do was fish. Every cent I had went towards fly fishing. I was never a snob that got everything I wanted instead I had to work and save for it.

I grew up on Bo-Vlakte some of you may know the place, I might have even fished with some off you. And growing up there helped me meet the biggest legends in the Fly Fishing business and these guys helped me allot. They were never too stingy to share some tippet or a fly or a reel. Tom Sutcliffe even gave me his waders!! And their knowledge was always freely available.

These people taught me allot in all aspects not just fishing.

What I am getting at is I don't reside in SA anymore. All grown up I now work in Indonesia and will be stalking the flats very shortly. Most of my fresh water gear is still at home and seeing that I wont be using it anymore I want to give it away.

The goal is not to give it away to someone that can afford it (sorry) I want to give it to a youngster that has a crazy passion for the sport. Someone who deserve a break in life. Its not much. If I remember its about 3 rods 3 reels with lines. Waders. V-boat, flippers. Flies nets etc.

If anyone has someone in mind please let me know. Ill also try an organise a day trip to Bo-vlakte with the new owner of my gear, if I may use it one last time.
    Nice going man, that's very nice of you

We need more posts like this. Awesome stuff Chumi!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Third'ed!

Good job.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    We need more posts like this. Awesome stuff Chumi!
    So why don't you donate your Sage One?
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Lots of heart and soul Chumi, makes me proud to be a flyangler!
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

i have given away a lot of unwanted tackle to "friends that would love to try flyfishing", just for the tackle never to be seen again. so i like this idea.
    if there is anywhere in the durban area that i can drop off, there is a perfectly workable float tube that i can donate. will scratch a bit more, and see what is available.
    catch and release

Blog Entries

Hi Ptrie

You wont remember me, but we have fished together before, I even think I have a photo of you with a fish from Bo Vlakte.

Love the initiative. Great cause! I gave away about 4 boxes of flies a year back, but I definitly have more gear to give away to someone who needs it.

If you find anyone who is lacking something please let us know, I will speak to my father at Suburban Tackle and organise what ever they need.

All the best and thank you for the wonderful post.

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Thanx Guys

I will get in touch with Maddy and Korrie and see if we can figure something out.

@ JadeDsantos
    Sorry I cant say I remember, however I do remember in 2004 Suburban tackle sponsered us with some fly fishing gear. We were the first junior Boland competitive side and I still have the fly fishing vest you guys gave us. I am not sure if it was from you or your father but 10 years later Thank you so much. That vest has seen allot of action from massive trout to swimming after marshalls that can't swim in a flooding Vaal river.
    Truly a small world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast