Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: WC River Ladder - brainstorm

Default WC River Ladder - brainstorm

Hello all interested parties ,

I was having a chat to Kevin Reid a few weeks back and he put this idea in my head which I have not been able to let go of. The idea was to set up a summer river ladder similar to a squash ladder. The main aim would be to create opportunities to learn more from better anglers and get anglers together that don't generally fish together. As a by product, WPFFA will use the rankings at the end of the season as part of our trial system. Hopefully we can also entice a few new anglers to dabble on the dark side

How a squash ladder works is you have each player ranked on a ranking list. In order to get onto the ranking list you need to start from the bottom. To move up the ladder you can challenge someone two spaces above your current position. If you beat that person, you take his spot and then he drops one position. At the end of the season there would be prizes for the top placings as well as for biggest improvement etc. Seems simple!

Im trying to figure out how this would actually work if we were to convert it to fly fishing. Some questions which I would love your feedback on:

1. Starting the ranking list:

The first issue is how to start the ranking list.? Possibly use the National ranking list? From there we filter in the ranking lists of the remainder of the WP and Boland anglers. From there anyone can join. Sound fair?

2. What constitutes a 'match'?

Fips rules may be too strict. Lets say no barbs, fish must be in the net to count, 3 hour session minimum (1,5h each angler), most number of fish wins. If there is a tie, each angler gets another 30 mins. Any other suggestions?

3. What stops someone who is higher ranked, from turning down a challenge from someone who is ranked lower? How do we prevent this?

If you have any thoughts or questions, please pop them here! Also, if you would like to get involved please pop your name here or send me a pm.

If any sponsors would like to get involved please give me a shout! Id love to set up some awesome prizes and hope to avoid having to charge an entry fee to the league.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

And here I thought we were going to help some poor trout get over a weir or dam wall :-)
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    And here I thought we were going to help some poor trout get over a weir or dam wall :-)
    Where's the like button.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Should't the thread be titled "WC River Rankings Ladder?"

I was also looking for some pictures of how you're going to help migrating fish
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Although it may be a slightly ambiguous title, it did come from me so you should have known better. :tongue: If admin would like to change it, please feel free.

Now, back to the issue at hand - the ranking ladder!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    like).jpg
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

In golf they set out weekends that are used for the ladder in advance for the season and if a challenge is not taken up inside 3 dates it is considered a win for the challenger
    Ie you have to fish /play if you want to climb /stay on the rung on
    the ladder !!
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Brilliant idea. I am in.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

My immediate thought is how (unless I missed reading it) would the 2 anglers compete against each other? Would they have to fish on the same day? Would they marshall for each other? So, would Angler A fish the morning session, and Angler B the afternoon? Would it be the same beat? How would that work? In tennis/squash/golf you compete directly but in fishing you have this "wait your turn" kinda thing.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Looks Like Maddys first post is reasonably well explained. I imagine they would both be on the water at the same time, and share the session. This kind of thing has been done before and the model works quite well. While the anglers do marshal each other, the success of the system relies heavily of honesty, very much the same as a golf or squash ladder would.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    My immediate thought is how (unless I missed reading it) would the 2 anglers compete against each other? Would they have to fish on the same day? Would they marshall for each other? So, would Angler A fish the morning session, and Angler B the afternoon? Would it be the same beat? How would that work? In tennis/squash/golf you compete directly but in fishing you have this "wait your turn" kinda thing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast