Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yellows in the Olifanstriver?

Default Yellows in the Olifanstriver?

Hi Guys, I will be staying in Elands Bay on the West Coast for 2 weeks over December. Being a fanatical fly fisher I immediately pulled out the map book to check out fishing possibilities. I see I am near Clanwilliam and being a Vaal River yellows fanatic have heard stories of the near distinct Clanwilliam yellow. Would like to know if there are guides available that far up north to take me out or maybe even fellow Flytalk fanatics? Are there chances of fishing at all or is it just wishful thinking. Furthermore what are the possibilities of saltwater fishing in that area (Elands Bay to Lamberts Bay) from the surf or would I have to charter a boat to get some action. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Deon TerBlanche View Post
    Hi Guys, I will be staying in Elands Bay on the West Coast for 2 weeks over December. Being a fanatical fly fisher I immediately pulled out the map book to check out fishing possibilities. I see I am near Clanwilliam and being a Vaal River yellows fanatic have heard stories of the near distinct Clanwilliam yellow. Would like to know if there are guides available that far up north to take me out or maybe even fellow Flytalk fanatics? Are there chances of fishing at all or is it just wishful thinking. Furthermore what are the possibilities of saltwater fishing in that area (Elands Bay to Lamberts Bay) from the surf or would I have to charter a boat to get some action. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Deon, there are a handful of guys who specifically target yellows in the Cape and these guys do it for the love of it. I don't know of any guides, but for what it is worth, I will try to be of help. Get your map out and head for Clanwilliam. Just north of Clanwilliam find the Bulshoek dam, which is also situated on the Olifants river. There is estimated to be about 100 yellows in the dam, although, dont expect any great shakes, they are not easy!

Elands Bay is the centre of a Crayfishing community. I don't know of any boat charters out that way, but perhaps you can find yourself a spot on a smelly snoek boat. I believe you could have some good sport on a fly rod fishing for them.

If you head to Elandsbay go to the Verlorenvlei where you can target carp, tilapia and huge flying striped mullet that will rip you to shreds. (if you can hook one!)
    your best option is to drive along the northern bank of the vlei and approach some of the farmers for permission (bank is mostly private property) People are very friendly here - you'll probably return home with a few pumpkins and a pocket or two potatoes.
    maybe put one day aside to search for yellows in the olifant's but don't get your hopes up dude.

ps. verlorenvlei tip - this is a rather large piece of water - create a feeding station if you want to target carp - wade the shallows along weedbeds to locate the tilapia. you could probably also chum the mullet into feeding. just watch out for the flying ones - nearly had my head taken off once - getting hit on the side of the head by a 1.5kg + mullet is worse than a klap from a potatoefarmer.

I am also very keen on trying to find a good spot on the river, I would love some more info.
    1. Where are are what fish?
    2. What is abouve the dam and what's below it?
    3. Where can you find a place to stay?
    4. Who would like to join me? when I get a chance to get down there.
    etc, etc, etc, or is this all a little secret??
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
    I am also very keen on trying to find a good spot on the river, I would love some more info.
    1. Where are are what fish?
    2. What is abouve the dam and what's below it?
    3. Where can you find a place to stay?
    4. Who would like to join me? when I get a chance to get down there.
    etc, etc, etc, or is this all a little secret??
    I second this! It's one of my missions to find decent spots to target CW Yellows. When you speak of the dam are you referring to Clanwilliam dam? I know that the guys do catch CW's around the inlet to the dam. Below the dam the Olifants runs for approx 25km's before entering Bulshoek dam- and this is the stretch that I would like to explore more- as the access is relatively easy. There is ample accomodation in Clanwilliam and there are camping facilities at Bulshoek dam.

When I was last at Bulshoek I did a quick recce up the river and it looks incredibly beautiful, and should hold CW's- the river runs rather shallow and then opens up into these massive pools, fringed with palmiet. They really look good and deserve some more investigating!

I'll let you guys know what I find as soon as I get off my lazy ass and go explore it
    Last edited by KevinC; 30-10-06 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Kevin, I have Turners phone number in my phone, I haven’t spoken to him in years, I’ll see if he still remembers me, and give you feed back once I have.
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    If you head to Elandsbay go to the Verlorenvlei where you can target carp, tilapia and huge flying striped mullet that will rip you to shreds. (if you can hook one!)
    your best option is to drive along the northern bank of the vlei and approach some of the farmers for permission (bank is mostly private property) People are very friendly here - you'll probably return home with a few pumpkins and a pocket or two potatoes.
    maybe put one day aside to search for yellows in the olifant's but don't get your hopes up dude.

ps. verlorenvlei tip - this is a rather large piece of water - create a feeding station if you want to target carp - wade the shallows along weedbeds to locate the tilapia. you could probably also chum the mullet into feeding. just watch out for the flying ones - nearly had my head taken off once - getting hit on the side of the head by a 1.5kg + mullet is worse than a klap from a potatoefarmer.
    I have never targeted mullet or tilapia, what is the approach? Flies same as for bass? Floating line & 5 wt rod? Are they worthwhile targeting and would one stand at least a 50/50 change of hooking into one or are the odds stacked heavily in their favour like for instance grunter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    I second this! It's one of my missions to find decent spots to target CW Yellows. When you speak of the dam are you referring to Clanwilliam dam? I know that the guys do catch CW's around the inlet to the dam. Below the dam the Olifants runs for approx 25km's before entering Bulshoek dam- and this is the stretch that I would like to explore more- as the access is relatively easy. There is ample accomodation in Clanwilliam and there are camping facilities at Bulshoek dam.

When I was last at Bulshoek I did a quick recce up the river and it looks incredibly beautiful, and should hold CW's- the river runs rather shallow and then opens up into these massive pools, fringed with palmiet. They really look good and deserve some more investigating!

I'll let you guys know what I find as soon as I get off my lazy ass and go explore it
    Kevin please get off IT and investigate before December!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deon TerBlanche View Post
    Kevin please get off IT and investigate before December!!
    lol- will hopefully spend a day or two there soon

As far as mullet are concerned, Philip Meyer wrote a very informative article on catching mullet for flytalk- just go and search under the articles and you'll find it- everything you need to know is there- Philip is probably the striped mullet guru on this site.

Hi there guys

Unfortunately the area down towards Clanwilliam Dam holds very few or no Yellows nowadays. The only fish that I have heard of in that area was caught right below the dam wall and access to this area is strictly controlled. I think that only Cape Nature has access.

The best public area to fish for Clanwilliams is undoubtedly Die Mond on the Groot River. Even here you will catch fifty Bass to every Yellow that you spot. We have however had quite a few weekends there when we have taken up to twenty Yellows or so between two guys.

Fishing here is almost exclusively sight fishing to individual fish and the average weight is around five pounds. Right now they should start spawning and during this period the hang around in the shallower riffle water. After spawning they move into the bigger pools for the remainder of the season and fishing any moving water becomes an absolute waste of time.

The big secret to catching Clanwilliams is to be patient when looking for fish and to get away from pressurised waters.

Cheers
    MC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast