Thread: Catch & Release Guidance

Question Catch & Release Guidance

Hi everyone

As a newcomer to FF, I did not have the good fortune of growing up in "fishing family" with the basic's being handed down. I'm learning as I go and from the all the literature I can consume and spending time online.

I seek guidance on the correct way to play and land your trout. What is the best way to subdue and bring trout under control?

I have found, partly due to my lack of skills, once that trout is in the net the fight is far from over, it is so slippery and to get hold of it without harming the fish can be quite a challenge.

From the WildFly Fishing series you will see guys landing fish using no nets – looks way easier than done! As I bring the fish in should I turn the fish upside down and just lift him out of the water with my free (non-rod) hand? I also don't want to play the fish to pure exhaustion with little chance of survival..

Thanks for assisting!
    KF

Many people don't use nets, but while you are gaining experience, I recommend that you use a net. Once the trout is in the net, don't remove him just yet, but lift the net to the surface, and place your hand under the fish, remove the hook with the trout still in the net, and once done, simply submerge the het and let the fish swim away. The less the fish is handled the better. Not always east with the fish flapping around, but try not to squeeze the fish to tight when holding, it hurts them, and definatly don't put your fingers in its gills.
    Some people will tell you to turn the fish upside down, or stroke its stomach to calm it down, and all these work to a lesser or greater degree for some anglers. but basically the rule is, bring the fish in as fast as possible, ie. don't prolong the fight unnecessarily, used de barbed hooks, and release as quickly as you can. Effective catch and release can take some practice, and no one gets it 100% correct every time.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Question on trout specifically. I was fishing a stillwater (stocked fish) last week from a float tube and I cannot remember exactly why, but I lifted a trout by the jaws, just to get it into the stripping basket area to unhook it and then slid it back into the water. Is this really bad for trout, or is it OK?

Just a note, I didn't pull the jaw to smithereens over my wrist while posing for a photo like the bass okes do, I just pulled the fish straight into the float tube by the jaw. I was specifically wondering about the teeth, if they would get hurt.

A trout's teeth are probably a genetic remnant more so than being functional.

If you don't put your fingers in the gills or let a fish hang suspended by it's bottom jaw, you'll be fine.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.