Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: NZ on a 5-year plan

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    I am not trying to put you off, I am just curious as to know how one would save knowing that the Rand is in for a bumpy ride the next 5 years.
    You can't/won't put me off, don't worry. Making something happen vs having it happen are 2 totally different things, so when things change ito finances, the plan needs to change to accommodate that.

Current savings would put me at R 81 212.06 with costs of the trip at R 42 049.03 at a current exchange of R9.01.

Assuming the rand weakens against the NZ$ with 60% to put the exchange at R15.00 to a NZ$, and my savings interest rate dropping by another 5%, my savings would be estimated at R 65 287.08 and the trip costs estimated at R 59 400.00.

So, I'd still be able to go - even at those odds.

Ultimately, to answer your question ... there is no guarantee that I would have saved enough. Almost like hoping someone get's hits by a bus - there is no guarantee that it will happen, but you still have to keep hoping
    Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 18-08-14 at 04:06 PM.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I guess anything can happen with currencies, but you would be pretty brave placing a one-way, down-hill bet on the rand taking the below 10yr graph into account. You could get a real spanking ...

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    The uncertainty is the Rand. January 2008 the Rand was R6.99 to the Dollar.
    We are now more or less stable at R10.75, I am just thinking that if the Rand weakens further to lets say R15.00 to the Dollar would one then have enough if you set yourself a target of R40k?
    So right now at lets say R10.75 the trip would cost roughly $3720.93/person at about R40k.

So lets say in 5 years time the trip is then $4250 and lets say the Rand is at R15.00 then it would cost R63 750.
    What if it's R20 to the Dollar in the next 5? Then it would be R85 000. This is probably a worse case scenario, but at this rate it's already double of the original figure/goal.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    You can't/won't put me off, don't worry. Making something happen vs having it happen are 2 totally different things, so when things change ito finances, the plan needs to change to accommodate that.

Current savings would put me at R 81 212.06 with costs of the trip at R 42 049.03 at a current exchange of R9.01.

Assuming the rand weakens against the NZ$ with 60% to put the exchange at R15.00 to a NZ$, and my savings interest rate dropping by another 5%, my savings would be estimated at R 65 287.08 and the trip costs estimated at R 59 400.00.

So, I'd still be able to go - even at those odds.

Ultimately, to answer your question ... there is no guarantee that I would have saved enough. Almost like hoping someone get's hits by a bus - there is no guarantee that it will happen, but you still have to keep hoping
    If you end up short, put it on the credit card, pay it off over 48 MONTHS.
    You can't buy memories.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    If you end up short, put it on the credit card, pay it off over 48 MONTHS.
    You can't buy memories.
    110% Korrie - making sure my Amex card is also clean in the next couple of years (although the Snake Brand site did hurt it today, plus a Tom Morgan blank also winking at me ) so there is at least some buffer zone
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

110% Korrie - making sure my Amex card is also clean in the next couple of years (although the Snake Brand site did hurt it today, plus a Tom Morgan blank also winking at me ) so there is at least some buffer zone
    Tell me more about this Tom Morgan Blank . . . . !!!!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Tell me more about this Tom Morgan Blank . . . . !!!!
    Weeeelll, it are glass, and it are pricey ... but it are also LOOOOOOOVELY!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Lovely pics Darryl
    Thanks Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Great Photos Darryl. The way you promote the fishing in the South Island anyone would think you lived out here.

You seem to have had a ball. Good on Ya!!
    Thanks Jax, I loved the South Island not only for the fishing and scenery but for remoteness and lack of people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    D did you get any fish on those Mice patterns?
    Didn't find the right conditions to try them Gerrit although bass love them :-) I also left a couple with my niece and nephew in Oz, with the sharp bits cut off.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Sitting in Rhodes with limited reception and even less battery life, so will reply in detail to the posts in Monday, but ...

Such a trip as you suggest would cost me R150 000 (quick calc taking 5 people).

The sad reality is, this is very much a self-centered indulgence FLY FISHING ONLY. My wife fully supports me in this, as since the 1st of our 3 kids were born, my stream time diminished from 150+ days on the streams to maybe 10-15 days a year MAX. So, in the past 8 years I have fished half of what I would normally fish in 1 year previously.

My wife, as well as my kids fully understand my passion, as well as my need, to get away on my own for an extended period of time and FISH only.

Another sad reality is that 150K on a holiday with "some" fishing is simply not in my vocabulary. If you can afford to take your wife/girlfriend (plus 3 kids, when/if you have them) to NZ for a month, plus take unpaid leave from work, that is amazing, but I'm not in that boat.

This thread is putting it like it is for me. I have to save, I just can't go when I want to. I'd love appear as a rich jet-setting rodbuilding, netmaking flyfishing family man, but I'm just a regular Joe, on a regular salary, trying to get to get to NZ and spend ALL of my time targeting fish I have dreamt of all my life!!!!
    Mario, besides the cost I think that getting away from the wife and kids for a couple of weeks is a good thing. Only a parent with kids knows how much you give ito both time, emotion and money when raising kids. You continually make sacrifices so that your kids and wife can have the best they deserve. Philippa did not begrudge me one day of my trip and I doubt Lande would in your case. Being able to fish 12-14 hours a day without worrying about someone being concerned about you, or sitting with a grumpy face in a camper van waiting for you to get back can only be a good thing.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Some good advice there.
    But I would definitely add a wader, fishing in water that is 8 degrees with a breeze, and a bit of drizzle for a couple of hours is not so much fun.
    I think it depends on the time of year you go. I doubt many Kiwis wear waders in summer but Kevin or Jax could confirm. I would not want to walk 5kms in waders, never mind 20 or 30. The other thing to consider is that on most rivers you are fishing from the side and not in the water like we tend to do in the Western Cape. The only time you tend to be in the water is when crossing or maybe positioning to cast to a fish. The browns tend to hug the edges of most rivers so are usually easily targeted from the side. Do you have any pics of your trip to share Korrie?

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

With regards to wearing waders or not does definitely depend on time of year as pointed out above.

Make no mistake, even warm summer days that water can be bloody cold, but if you dress sensibly, you should dry out super quick. It is correct that you are not always in the water fishing, but rather constantly crossing, positioning yourself for shots or getting in to land the fish.

Personally I do not fish waders - safety issue - and given the distances walked, prefer freedom of movement.
    Also, I like to climb and snoop over cliffs to see what's in the water below.
    Darryl's advice is pretty spot on - not much more to add.

I have a bunch of South Island photo's in my album that gives a good idea of what you're dealing with ........ don't want to clog up this post with adding photo's.
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?albumid=601
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?albumid=525
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?albumid=54

FWIW....
    Always pack extra food even if you don't eat it.
    Thermal top and bottoms on you in layers.
    Survival blanket and waterproof matches in pack.

Remember. weather can change in a heartbeat especially some of the back country stuff and if you're not prepared you can be in a world of hurt.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast