Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ on a 5-year plan

Default NZ on a 5-year plan

So, a little group decided we need to make a conscious decision to start saving up and do a world class destination. We aren't getting younger, and in 5 year's time all our kids will be old enough for mom to survive for 2-weeks without us. Major issue is planning ito saving up, so planning budget for us is NB. Once there we will probably take a guide for a day or 2.

The reason for the post is to ask the guys that have been to NZ before, if our costs are more-or-less ballpark. We decided (at this stage) to rent a campervan (might have to do 2 campervans if the party number demands it) since we would have accommodation wherever we decide to travel, the option of a kitchen, a shower, a toilet etc.

Most of the variable costs (yellow cells) have been exaggerated a bit as a worst-case-scenario, any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, 5-years is a long time, but we have to start somewhere

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlmz3401yu...dropbox%29.xls
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Awesome Mario! So glad you are doing this. I need to do the same someday. Its like a religious pilgrimage doing to SI I feel. Thanks for sharing the costing!

Cheers

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Awesome Mario! So glad you are doing this. I need to do the same someday. Its like a religious pilgrimage doing to SI I feel. Thanks for sharing the costing!

Cheers

J
    I wish I could just pack and go, but at this stage not even almost a chance

The Fellowship of the Fly will be between 4 and 8 guys, so the costing is based on that. For the time being March/April is the target window, seeing that flights over Dec/Jan is almost 10K more than in March/April. The fishing still seems to be pretty good during that time, and the 10K could be put towards guides in my mind rather than flights. Dunno if this makes sense - the guys that have been there will know better.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I tried to do a bit of research for it last year but it seem you already know more than me. I was hoping to con Matt Zilliox and Liam S into joining me. I have been doing a lot of research for great NZ style of fishing up around here, but the only thing that comes close is Kamchatka or Iceland, NZ is just the mecca.

Maybe in a few years I will follow suit and fly over to NZ troutbum style, buy a small motorbike and drive around SI for a month.

I suppose budgeting for saving becomes the most critical thing right now, everything else is doable. Maybe since its over 5 years, I see no harm in sticking money in some kind of fund. If all you guys are doing the same, it would be worth all chippin together so you get more back from your interest. But that also comes with a host of other complications . . .

J

I see no harm in sticking money in some kind of fund. If all you guys are doing the same, it would be worth all chippin together so you get more back from your interest. But that also comes with a host of other complications . . .

J
    That is the plan ja - all of us have to plan and save (the sad reality of the average Joe). I did the math, there is no benefit really ito saving into the same fund. The disadvantages and complications that that would have, far outweighs the combined interest gained (which according to the clever people is zero anyway).
    Mario Geldenhuys

Yeah its what I thought. Pity though.

I think its anyones reality if you are heading on a trip like this! No extreme fishing trip is going to be cheap! If I wanted to do a similar trip to Sweden, Norway or Iceland I would be paying more than that in rands and the fishing would not be as good! I think NZ is great value for money with regards to the catch!

One place that actually seems very affordable to fish in comparison is Slovenia! I was doing some research and between guides and licenses its very affordable. Maybe we should make a thread for good value for money international trips!? Share some thoughts on flybumming it in some exotic locations.

J

Mario, why not take the wife and kids along, as a family holiday?
    I know of a couple of families that did it, and loved it.
    4 weeks cruising NZ in a camper, sight seeing, fishing, the family will love it
    NZ is an amazing family desitination
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Yeah its what I thought. Pity though.

I think its anyones reality if you are heading on a trip like this! No extreme fishing trip is going to be cheap! If I wanted to do a similar trip to Sweden, Norway or Iceland I would be paying more than that in rands and the fishing would not be as good! I think NZ is great value for money with regards to the catch!

One place that actually seems very affordable to fish in comparison is Slovenia! I was doing some research and between guides and licenses its very affordable. Maybe we should make a thread for good value for money international trips!? Share some thoughts on flybumming it in some exotic locations.

J
    Yes, that area of Europe is very affordable (especially flights), and once there, you have countries like Bosnia, Croatia, Czech Rep and a few more to explore!!

We have not made a final decision on destination, but the information on NZ is just SO easy to find, and it makes the planning (well, in my mind at least) just SO much easier. Yes, other destinations have that "don't know what to expect/excitement" factor, but if you head out into the backcountry is seems that within 40 minute you are pretty much as lost and on an epic adventure as well. Benefit of NZ is the size of the place - it's manageable!!!

Canada was an option too - just much harder to find similar info easily than what I found on NZ.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Mario, why not take the wife and kids along, as a family holiday?
    I know of a couple of families that did it, and loved it.
    4 weeks cruising NZ in a camper, sight seeing, fishing, the family will love it
    NZ is an amazing family desitination
    I'd love to Korrie - but I have 14 days max to do it in. I know people will say that if you spend that amount of money to get there, why not stay there for longer. Well, my truth is that I have to take unpaid leave, so you have to factor in a month's loss of income basically in addition to the costs of the trip. Then factor in the same for my wife, and already the costs for just the 2 of us is quite a lot. Then add the 3 kids, add my time that I will be able to actually fish hardcore (that's worth a lot of money right there ), and its no longer a fishing trip, which would cost me close to 100K+

Edit: I must add, my wife is very supportive of me going for 2 weeks and just fishing hardcore!! It's all she has been hearing from the time we met, and she is "allowing" me to do this. All the fighting does seem to pay off
    Mario Geldenhuys

Fantastic idea, I've just finished reading The Trout Diaries, by Derek Grzelewski. Can't wait to get over there, but doing something like this is also probably the only way i could afford it! I might try it on a 3-year-plan though

Thanks for sharing your thoughts & costs.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast