Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Management at Zandvlei...

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Thanks for the info Garnett..... Did she say if the virus manifests itself in any visible way on the fish with sores/legions or anything like that?
    I was there on Saturday, and saw all the dead fish, and did notice some legions etc on some of the live fish....
    Symptoms include rapid respiration, discoloration, patchy swollen or necrotic gills and skin lesions. Kill rate is 90%.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Thanks for that... seems pretty likely that was it...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks Garnett - science trumps speculation.... Dark thought - could the disease be used to manage carp populations like myxsomatosis was for rabbits? Does it affect indigenous cyprinids?

It is dark but there seems to be work being done on this exact question in Aus. Not sure the latest but I found this on the net dated 2011. See page 16 and 17.
    www.vffa.org.au/images/vffanovember2011final.pdf

We have had a sewage spill in the Sand River Canal late yesterday. We don’t know how many hours it flowed for, but it appears to be a medium sized spill, that will require treatment.

Terry Schorn, Operations Manager for Water and Sanitation, informed us that it was load-shedding related. He has made out an order for treatment.

Would all sporting bodies please ask their members to stay away from the north-eastern corner of the estuary, closest to the sand river, and also to remain well away from water that smells or looks like sewage.

Regards,

Joshua Gericke
    Bsc Hons Environmental Management

Reserve Manager
    Zandvlei Estuary Nature Reserve
    Coniston Avenue, Retreat 7945
    Tel : 021 701 7542
    Fax: 086 576 2480
    Email : Joshua.Gericke@capetown.gov.za

Dredging starts at Zandvlei.
    We have for a long time been dreaming of dredging the sand plume at the mouth. We acquired environmental authorization last year and were supposed to begin in May this year, but our funding fell through for reasons most of you are aware of.
    Today I was notified that R 300 000 has been granted to Roads and Stormwater, and that they had arrived on the bank with a long-arm digger to begin, but needed instructions from me. I met with them and they commenced immediately.
    We had previously discussed making the public aware of the plan before commencement, but unfortunately I had about 15 minutes’ notice. The project is so essential and urgent that I decided not to risk losing momentum by stalling for the sake of public communication.
    I would therefore ask that you notify your members that this is underway.
    I will also copy you into our press release as soon as it exists. It will provide you with further details.
    Kind regards,
    Joshua Gericke
    Reserve Manager
    Zandvlei Estuary Nature Reserve
    Coniston Avenue, Retreat 7945
    Tel : 021 701 7542
    Fax: 086 576 2480
    Email : Joshua.Gericke@capetown.gov.za
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 08-07-15 at 02:47 PM.

Awesome stuff! Thanks for the update.
    Regards,
    Leonardo

Some interesting info here on the Mountain Men Secuirty folks doing a great job in catching a poacher on the Vlei last night.... oke had 80 metre gill nets strung out in the Vlei, opporating at night in a blacked out Canoe... Check out their FB page for details...

https://www.facebook.com/mountainmen.za

Full kudos to these guys and all those doing great work to try and improve and protect this unique system....
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Couldn't believe what I saw. Guy is a commercial snoek fisherman apparently.

Saw the guys working today. Hell of a lot of sand to be moved to open everything up. All the best with the project.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast