Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Management at Zandvlei...

Default Fishing Management at Zandvlei...

Zandvlei Trust newsletter extract.....

Are you a fisherman and will you share some of your information for management purposes? Please contact ....

Gavin Lawson : Chairperson Zandvlei Trust
    Phone 021 705-5224
    email glawson@xsinet.co.za

OR

Cassandra Sheasby : Manager, Zandvlei Estuary Nature Reserve
    Phone 021 701-7542
    cassandra.sheasby@capetown.gov.za

Come on guys make some input.....

This is an opportunity for Flytalk to get involved with Zandvlei Fishing Management issues....
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Exactly, this is what I as a humble Gautie have been suggesting for the past few months! Maybe add this to the oft-repeated pleas/threads! Sincerely, good luck with this!

buzz
    sorry i might be having a blonde moment here.... what are they asking for? "are you a fisherman and will you share some info for management purposes", managing the fishing? or the k&k that goes on around the place and then gets thrown in the water...
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Wont be long and one would need special permits to fish the vlei. How else can they manage the fishing?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Wont be long and one would need special permits to fish the vlei. How else can they manage the fishing?
    maybe that's not such a bad idea - you just need someone to go round checking all the anglers have their permits

?
    the patient mental...

Reading between the lines, it appears that the big problem at Zandvlei is water quality, and not necessarily the impact of fishing. I may be wrong, but it is fair to assume that the fishing will improve if water quality can be improved. The protection and improvement of a fishing resource is something that that needs public (and noisy) support. I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    buzz
    sorry i might be having a blonde moment here.... what are they asking for? "are you a fisherman and will you share some info for management purposes", managing the fishing? or the k&k that goes on around the place and then gets thrown in the water...
    Hi Rols.

I get the impression it would involve things like catch returns and illegal fishing activity. The contact persons mentioned are also involved with pollution control. I will mail Gavin Lawson and find out.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

I have mailed and received a response. They are still in the process of setting up a tagging project, they anticipate that it will form part of the national catch reg. who will then report to the Sandvlei trust. I have requested they contact me once they have finalised the system.

They have requested in the intermin that all barble and carp caught are killed and removed from site.

It would appear that their major concern is water quality to prevent an occurance like Rietvlei!

were does one dump your fish...i wouldnt even give those fish to our workers to eat...for fear of them landing up in hospital...

as for managing the marina...i dont mean to be negative but we cant even police the beaches properly...the damage at the marina is done by the guys who fish live bait and take the leeries out.

im keen to assist where i can...kyle keep me informed bud
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Would'nt know where to dump the fish!!! as for the removal of the leeries... i think we need to talk to those R&S dudes they look like the scaly sort that might be guilty . Seriously though lets see where we can assist, i will keep you posted.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast