Thread: Sage 10'

Default Sage 10'

G'day all,

I'm very keen to buy a Sage ONE, 4 weight, 10' 0'' rod for still water fly fishing. Would anyone of you masters consider this rod? Would you buy it?
    Looking forward to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sam.

what still waters are you planning on fishing, as a #4 might be a bit light for most still waters
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Korrie. Mainly fish Pietermaritzburg/Midlands areas. Already own a Xplorer Guide 2, 6 weight 9' rod which I find a bit heavy.

I use a 10 ft 6wt Sage ONE for lots of my Stillwater use and love it. You will definitely be undergunned with the 4wt when it comes to distance, larger flies (especially more than one), as well as wind and bigger fish. The 10 ft4wt ONE makes a nice large river trout nymphing rod.

I would not go under a 10ft 5wt for still waters, but would still say a 6 is preferable.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Thank you Sir. I'm still very new to fly fishing and will take your advice into consideration. Never tried river fly fishing but will be next month. Tried a friends 8'6" Orvis on still water some time ago ago and it was great. To me the 9' Explorer was just too heavy and I did a much better cast with the 4 weight. Any advice and/or tips will be appreciated.

Regards,

Sam.

Sorry GGY, here, more info. The Orvis was a 8'6" 4 weight and the Xplorer a 9'6" 6 weight. The Orvis was just a much better cast.

Regards,

Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_981 View Post
    Thank you Sir. I'm still very new to fly fishing and will take your advice into consideration. Never tried river fly fishing but will be next month. Tried a friends 8'6" 4wt Orvis on still water some time ago ago and it was great. To me the 9' Explorer was just too heavy and I did a much better cast with the 4 weight. Any advice and/or tips will be appreciated.

Regards,

Sam.
    The Orvis outfit you fished *may* have casted better for you since it was:
    - Balanced (reel balanced the rod length)
    - Correctly lined (the line weight/type on the rod loaded the rod for the cast better than the line weight/type on your Xplorer)
    - The leader length/fly combination on the 4wt was better than on the 6wt
    - Your inexperience/lack of technique made casting the shorter, lighter rod easier for you.
    It is hard to say WHY without having seen/handled both outfits.

There are LOTS of other reasons/variables why you may have cast the Orvis better than the Xplorer, but generally put, you would cast a correctly balanced 9ft 91/2ft 6wt further than an 8 1/2ft 4wt.

Without being funny, may I suggest casting lessons? Getting lessons from a proper casting instructor, who knows what they are doing, will go a long way to improving your casting. Take along your existing gear - the instructor should easily be able to see if you have a mismatched outfit and help you correct any gear issues.

(I myself am going to do casting lessons this month, and I have been flyfishing for over 25 years [means nothing], as well as competed internationally as part of the Protea flyfishing team more times than any other angler [also means nothing]. I have realised that to improve my distance, I need lessons, and will be getting some from Mark Yelland in JHB, who is arguably the best casting instructor in SA and a former national team mate)
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    The Orvis outfit you fished *may* have casted better for you since it was:
    - Balanced (reel balanced the rod length)
    - Correctly lined (the line weight/type on the rod loaded the rod for the cast better than the line weight/type on your Xplorer)
    - The leader length/fly combination on the 4wt was better than on the 6wt
    - Your inexperience/lack of technique made casting the shorter, lighter rod easier for you.
    It is hard to say WHY without having seen/handled both outfits.

There are LOTS of other reasons/variables why you may have cast the Orvis better than the Xplorer, but generally put, you would cast a correctly balanced 9ft 91/2ft 6wt further than an 8 1/2ft 4wt.

Without being funny, may I suggest casting lessons? Getting lessons from a proper casting instructor, who knows what they are doing, will go a long way to improving your casting. Take along your existing gear - the instructor should easily be able to see if you have a mismatched outfit and help you correct any gear issues.

(I myself am going to do casting lessons this month, and I have been flyfishing for over 25 years [means nothing], as well as competed internationally as part of the Protea flyfishing team more times than any other angler [also means nothing]. I have realised that to improve my distance, I need lessons, and will be getting some from Mark Yelland in JHB, who is arguably the best casting instructor in SA and a former national team mate)
    Lo Gary,

I value your opinion and sound advice. Thank you.

Next step will be a casting instructor for assistance re rod, length and weight and also some serious casting lessons. Logical way to go.

Regards,

Sam.

I would still like to know your opinion on the Sage ONE, 4 weight, 10' 0'' rod and if you would buy it.

Thanks guy's.

Sam.

If you were planning to fish big European rivers for trout using dry and nymphing techniques, then it is a great choice. But it is too much for our trout streams (=3wt) and too light for trout still waters, or yellowfish(=5 or 6wt)
    Gary