Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Stealth casette reels (Switch??)

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Andre - was that an older GRX/GRXi reel or a newer GX500/Gx700 reel?
    I love my newer GX-model reels.
    Just because a manufacturer has a bad model (think new model Simms Freestones [not the originals or the corrected/fixed newest models]) does not mean you should write off the whole brand.
    Based on this recommendation I just bought the GX500 6/7/8 for seatrout and Salmon up here in Northern Europe. Got it for 60 euros with 2 spools off ebay. Bargain . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Another option to consider is the Scierra cassette. I have had mine for a couple of years and had zero problems. It comes with 4 spools and a bag and I paid less than R1k. The 7/8 balances a 10ft 6wt perfectly.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/scie...reel~4174.html
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Another option to consider is the Scierra cassette. I have had mine for a couple of years and had zero problems. It comes with 4 spools and a bag and I paid less than R1k. The 7/8 balances a 10ft 6wt perfectly.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/scie...reel~4174.html
    At 228 grams (8 oz), that seems too heavy, considering my Grey's GX500/700 is only 6 oz.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I think im set on the greys. If anything the colour suits my rod best ;-) But seriously, Im confident it will have enough space for my lines (which Im not sure about with the stealth reels), the weight seems good and the price is right as per the link above.

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    At 228 grams (8 oz), that seems too heavy, considering my Grey's GX500/700 is only 6 oz.
    I am trying to balance a TFO Pro 10ft 6wt, not some modern toothpick :-)
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

hahaha, I too tried one of my loaded 7/9 weight reels on the rod in question today and it actually balanced pretty well. With the line etc it weighs in at about 240grams. Overall it just feels like a heavy weight to hold the whole day nymphing though.

Aha. I am sorry I am fishing more modern rods. My new 10 ft 7wt Hardy Zenith only weighs 3.5 oz (100 grams)...
    But actually, the heavier/lighter rod is also likely to have a heavier/lighter reel seat, do you may not need to go as far as an 8 oz(empty) reel to balance.

That said, I'll take balanced over unbalanced, any day when it comes to ease of use, but of course, light and balanced is best.
    Gary

I just eat more pap in the morning then the weight doesn't worry me too much :-)

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

I'm toying with extension arm options at the moment, and hope to have a couple of ideas turn into a tangible item later this year. Weight and balance can then be played with a bit ito reel weight.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I'm toying with extension arm options at the moment, and hope to have a couple of ideas turn into a tangible item later this year. Weight and balance can then be played with a bit ito reel weight.
    Of course, since I am using 6/7/8weight large arbour, lightweight reels on 6wts (and 3wts), the center of mass of these larger reels is obviously further from the rod than on smaller reels, thereby mimicking some of the benefits of the arm extensions already.

That said, the best way to both reduce weight & also balance a (long) rod is to move the reel mass as far down to the bottom of the rod as possible. The further down you can position the reel, the lighter the reel has to be to balance the rod. Extensions help, but a downlocking reel seat is the best option - pity they look terrible...
    Gary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast