Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternative stacked bamboo spacer

Default Alternative stacked bamboo spacer

Something a little different ito stacking bamboo .....

The spacer is just dry fitted and totally uncoated at this stage. Some oils tonight and in 3 days she will be ready to go on a CFR Electro Orange 7three3 glass rod ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I hope this leads you in the direction of eventualy building split cane rods - nicely done Mario !

Quote Originally Posted by craig furness View Post
    I hope this leads you in the direction of eventualy building split cane rods - nicely done Mario !
    Thanks Craig. I've done some bamboo rods, but the calling is just not there yet at this stage. And I don't want to do something for the sake of just doing it. One day it will call ... And maybe I'll be ready to answer.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Something a little different ito stacking bamboo .....

The spacer is just dry fitted and totally uncoated at this stage. Some oils tonight and in 3 days she will be ready to go on a CFR Electro Orange 7three3 glass rod ...
    Very nice.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Thanks Mike, appreciate

I'm playing with the idea of stacking some at 90° to the other - say about 25mm "blocks". Wonder how the fibers would hold up while turning though???
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Mario, could you use a router and a Bullnose router bit & do 2 passes, that would give you a round dowel, then load into lathe for finishing?

Alex
    I could, but a Bullnose bit is over R1000 this side of the water, and it did not take too long to get it round on the lathe.
    Mario Geldenhuys

How about a lovely matching grip with the bamboo?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    How about a lovely matching grip with the bamboo?
    I'm actually thinking about it Korrie - I just have to consider weight. This stuff is quite dense and heavy. Possible option is a 15mm cork core with the bamboo around it. I'll start playing with it next week - I have 3 days to give it a go
    Mario Geldenhuys

Awesome Mario, I like it.

That is lovely...now do one with Hardekool MG!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast