Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Popular French dry fly

Default Popular French dry fly

A popular French Dry fly, explained in Italian, with some interesting techniques
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=jmGzdpfowFc
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Nice tie, Korrie. Thanks for sharing.

Youtube is blocked at work - is this not on Vimeo as well?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Youtube is blocked at work - is this not on Vimeo as well?
    Not that I know off. sorry.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Another GREAT alternative way to tie mayfly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K46OvQ-GvfQ
    another one of Deveaux's flies, Deveaux Olive
    Korrie Broos

That other fly was very nice. Thanks, downloading this one as it also looks good
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

My Italian is not so strong, so maybe it is explained, but I have to ask, why are the barbules cut off and not simply pulled off the stem? They are not used in any manner (although while watching I though that that method could make a good 1-feather mayfly, where the stem with the little short barbules could make a lekker body/abdomen).
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

My Italian is not so strong, so maybe it is explained, but I have to ask, why are the barbules cut off and not simply pulled off the stem? They are not used in any manner (although while watching I though that that method could make a good 1-feather mayfly, where the stem with the little short barbules could make a lekker body/abdomen).
    Tie one of the 1-feather mayfly in a SBS for us, as I cannot understand your explanation. (no jokes)
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Tie one of the 1-feather mayfly in a SBS for us, as I cannot understand your explanation. (no jokes)
    Will do one when I can, but in short ...

- Take 1 feather
    - Trim some of the hackle off of the stem (like in the clip) close to the tip (but leave the tip in place)
    - Clip the stem off at the tip, so the tip makes a V for the tail
    - Tie hackle in at the gape with some thread, wind the thread forward up to the eye (on the shank, leaving the trimmed hackle stem "loose"
    - Wind the trimmed hackle stem forward to make the body. With some luck and practice you'd trim just enough hackle off so that by the time you reach the area close to the eye, you'd get hackle again to make the "wing".
    - Wind on the wing
    - Tie off and done.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Will do one when I can, but in short ...

- Take 1 feather
    - Trim some of the hackle off of the stem (like in the clip) close to the tip (but leave the tip in place)
    - Clip the stem off at the tip, so the tip makes a V for the tail
    - Tie hackle in at the gape with some thread, wind the thread forward up to the eye (on the shank, leaving the trimmed hackle stem "loose"
    - Wind the trimmed hackle stem forward to make the body. With some luck and practice you'd trim just enough hackle off so that by the time you reach the area close to the eye, you'd get hackle again to make the "wing".
    - Wind on the wing
    - Tie off and done.
    SOunds interesting, would love to see the photos, struggling to visualize
    Korrie Broos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast