Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Sage Salt

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Ja, but what is a "Salt Action"??
    Well basically from blurb put out by Sage the "salt action" is for "heavier flylines" ... see here:
    The SALT’s robust salt-action taper provides the power needed to cast today’s heavier fly lines and deliver all sizes of flies at any range with precision.
    http://www.sageflyfish.com/blog/06/2...-anglers-salt/

So a new 11wt Sage with "salt action" must feel a bit like yesterdays more pap 12wt offerings ... you know, back when the lines were lighter proper 12wt lines .... or is that too confusing

Come to think of it my Sage Xi3 is a bloody stiff rod already Such a pity it's out of fashion now :frown:

The highest form of existence is play.

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    Well basically from blurb put out by Sage the "salt action" is for "heavier flylines" ... see here:

http://www.sageflyfish.com/blog/06/2...-anglers-salt/

So a new 11wt Sage with "salt action" must feel a bit like yesterdays more pap 12wt offerings ... you know, back when the lines were lighter proper 12wt lines .... or is that too confusing

Come to think of it my Sage Xi3 is a bloody stiff rod already Such a pity it's out of fashion now :frown:

Strange seeing an Ultra Lite Purist like yourself with such a heavy rod

Good to see that the industry is still alive with innovation.BAd if you a tackle junky,puts heavy strain on the overdraft

Now I am curious why we all seem so enamored when an existing American company replaces a product with a "new" product, but have lots of negative things to say if a South African company starts out with a new product - ie the Wade Reels discussions in the other thread...

(Or do I have this wrong?)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

As far as I can see the only thing said that was negative was the price. Didn't see "lots of negative things" - but then again I can be wrong. I thought everything said was directly related to the price.

Gary, I think that people expect a local company to come up with something that's going to make it easier for the local market to support them. Its disappointing when something local is so expensive when foreign products can be cheaper. I realise that local manufacturing is more expensive than it is in the East, and local is becoming almost a guarantee of a higher price, rather than a lower price. The fact that Fly castaway employs local guides who are involved in the development, is a good thing, but the Flycastaways market and sphere of operation, are predominantly the wealthy international sport tourists, so it does tell us that the product, although made here, is going to be targeted at the international market, and that's disappointing. Its easy to expect the American reel and rod manufacturers to be expensive, but when a local production arrives, it's disappointing to see that there is actually very little to make it locally attractive. The fact that the SA market is perhaps one of the most price sensitive in the World, across many industries, doesn't really help the cause either.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Now I am curious why we all seem so enamored when an existing American company replaces a product with a "new" product, but have lots of negative things to say if a South African company starts out with a new product - ie the Wade Reels discussions in the other thread...

(Or do I have this wrong?)
    Last edited by Andre; 21-08-14 at 12:39 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

One of the things that puzzles me about SA (and I've lived in the US, England and Ireland) is the enormous amount people are prepared to spend on vehicles (as a percentage of their income) in comparison with other places I've lived. In this area at least we seem quite price insensitive, especially given that most of that expense is depreciation and interest cost - i.e. a total waste. I'd rather buy an older vehicle and spend part of the monthly savings on good tackle!

Quote Originally Posted by allsorts View Post
    One of the things that puzzles me about SA (and I've lived in the US, England and Ireland) is the enormous amount people are prepared to spend on vehicles (as a percentage of their income) in comparison with other places I've lived. In this area at least we seem quite price insensitive, especially given that most of that expense is depreciation and interest cost - i.e. a total waste. I'd rather buy an older vehicle and spend part of the monthly savings on good tackle!
    You live in Durban - it's an exceptionally bad problem down here. But I agree, you don't see the same sort of behaviour in many countries. Quite ironic given that SA has such high vehicle prices and lending interest rates!
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

i totally agree with andre's comments...he has summed it up perfectly.
    I would rather buy an american made reel than a locally made reel if they are a similar price.

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    I would rather buy an american made reel than a locally made reel if they are a similar price.
    If there is a product I believe to be of similar QUALITY to the USA made product for similar price I'll buy the non-USA made item every time.
    I'm not anti-American (I have hundreds of USA made items of fishing tackle), just a big moral supporter of anyone else in the world who has the cojones to have go at the global market with all the challenges involved.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast