Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Food for Communities Thought ! Monitoring the Vaal River system.

Yes, you are right, I realise that, but generally speaking, its not easy to get the community involved. When the hiking or mountain climbers need to get something environmentally done... they get hundreds of volunteers in the Cape, they have to turn volunteers away sometimes. Don't know what it is with fly fishers in general that they aren't prepared to do stuff for the better of their resources. Anyway, I suppose its the way it is.....
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I don't this it's that (in this case). The problem is (as RooiHompie mentioned) that most likely this study/info will fall on deaf ears.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes, you are right, I realise that, but generally speaking, its not easy to get the community involved.
    Yes, I agree 100%. Have seen that with the odd thing that I've been involved in as well.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I don't this it's that (in this case). The problem is (as RooiHompie mentioned) that most likely this study/info will fall on deaf ears.
    Mario I agree with you to a point,I should have made this clearer I think, this is system is not intended to give us the tools to try and make a difference and k@k the government out or who ever it is merely a fly fishing "tool" so that you can get a insight into the rivers state when you want to go fishing. the thought of using this for research would open up a whole other can of worms when it comes to logging and reporting results.

like I said before a likely scenario for this system use would be.
    The Friday afternoon you decide you want to go fishing over the weekend you can log into all your favorite fishing spot and see what the visibility and temperatures are like. this should then give you a good indication which fishing spot is more likely to held successful day of fishing.

Johann
    Trout is for people that don't know how to catch yellows.
    www.fishingforyellows.co.za, store.fishingforyellows.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Good luck mate, I know what its like to try and get the fly fishing community involved in environmental work. Everyones quite happy to moan and complain, but when someone asks them to put their hands up, ...they gone. Funny that, always seems to be the ones who moan the most, who are the first to find the door. The problem with environmental work, is that its a sacrifice, and sacrifices don't feed the egos.
    Andre

Unfortunately you are correct people would rather point out the flaws in your plan and run away then stay and help, this is a typical forum scenario i have seen this happen on all forums, electronics , engineering, fly fishing ...... people hide behind the fact that they don't have to face you after leaving a comment of no constructional value other then making them self feel better. but its the nature of the beast , doesn't hurt trying ;-)

Johann

We have been complaining about the state of the Vall for years. Maybe it is high time that our current way of doing things is not good enough. Back in 2009 I suggested a course of action and was shot down as "I was taking over the show". Maybe we should stop complaining and involve politics and media as I suggested in the first place.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Ek lees elke reaksie en voorstel met simpatie. Ek was betrokke by verskeie pogings om ons damme en riviere te red. 'n Goeie voorbeeld van die owerhede se gedagtegang is Hartebeespoortdam. Daar is huidig 5 bote op die dam wat nette uitsit en karpe vang. Hierdie projek is veronderstel om die besoedeling van die dam teen te werk! Die feit van die saak is dat die karpe reeds van die begin van die dam se bestaan daar is - 1923. Die verduideliking van die owerheid se "wetenskaplikes" is dat die karpe op die bodem wei en sodoende die dam besoedel!!! Die waarheid is egter dat hulle, die regering, nie wil sien dat die karpe die gemors van besoedeling loswoel nie. Dan dryf dit mos op die oppervlak. Dit lyk nie goed nie en ruik nog minder goed. Boonop kan almal dan sien hoe vuil die dam werklik is. Verder kan ons kyk na Klipvoordam ( Borakolalo). Hier is die telling van water wat ek laat toets het 3000+! Nie eers geskik om jou hande in te was nie. Die personeel van die reservaat was te lui om die riooltrok tot by die stortingsterrein te neem. Hulle het die riool eenvoudig in die dam gestort. Hopelik gaan dit nou beter daar. Dan is daar die langlynbote uit die Ooste wat in ons gebiedswater vis stroop. Ons het so boot se registrasienommer aan die Groen Skerpioene gestuur. Die antwoord was dat daar niks aan gedoen kan word nie. Die permit is uitgereik in die naam van 'n parlementslid! Op sy/haar beurt is dit aan die Chinese verkoop. Soos 'n direkteur van natuurbewaring vir my gese^ het: "Bewaring in Suid-Afrika is gedoem!" Indien ek met enige poging kan help, kan julle my gerus kontak: flyfishing@stywelyne.net

Quote Originally Posted by Eben View Post
    Ek lees elke reaksie en voorstel met simpatie. Ek was betrokke by verskeie pogings om ons damme en riviere te red. 'n Goeie voorbeeld van die owerhede se gedagtegang is Hartebeespoortdam. Daar is huidig 5 bote op die dam wat nette uitsit en karpe vang. Hierdie projek is veronderstel om die besoedeling van die dam teen te werk! Die feit van die saak is dat die karpe reeds van die begin van die dam se bestaan daar is - 1923. Die verduideliking van die owerheid se "wetenskaplikes" is dat die karpe op die bodem wei en sodoende die dam besoedel!!! Die waarheid is egter dat hulle, die regering, nie wil sien dat die karpe die gemors van besoedeling loswoel nie. Dan dryf dit mos op die oppervlak. Dit lyk nie goed nie en ruik nog minder goed. Boonop kan almal dan sien hoe vuil die dam werklik is. Verder kan ons kyk na Klipvoordam ( Borakolalo). Hier is die telling van water wat ek laat toets het 3000+! Nie eers geskik om jou hande in te was nie. Die personeel van die reservaat was te lui om die riooltrok tot by die stortingsterrein te neem. Hulle het die riool eenvoudig in die dam gestort. Hopelik gaan dit nou beter daar. Dan is daar die langlynbote uit die Ooste wat in ons gebiedswater vis stroop. Ons het so boot se registrasienommer aan die Groen Skerpioene gestuur. Die antwoord was dat daar niks aan gedoen kan word nie. Die permit is uitgereik in die naam van 'n parlementslid! Op sy/haar beurt is dit aan die Chinese verkoop. Soos 'n direkteur van natuurbewaring vir my gese^ het: "Bewaring in Suid-Afrika is gedoem!" Indien ek met enige poging kan help, kan julle my gerus kontak: flyfishing@stywelyne.net
    Dankie vir die verduideliking
    en as ek aan iets dink sal ek jjou laat weet, MAAR ek moet weer eens SE DIE IS NIE VIR NAVORSING NIE, DIS N FISHING TOOL!!!!

And I think that's where you're missing the point...

You say the unit should measure temperature, TDS and clarity as indicators of the level of "pollution".

"Pollution" is not related to "clarity" and considering the temperature is mostly constant in spring and summer, I find it hard to see the value this product would offer the fly fisherman, let alone the riparian landowner who would be buying into it.

Additionally to that consideration should be given to the effects of damage due to flood conditions, how exactly your data will be logged, transmitted and where it would be displayed.

This is just me, but if I were to fish the Vaal again, I would first be concerned with E.Coli count with all other considerations secondary to that.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2