View Poll Results: If forum users are disruptive, should we..

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ban user permanently.

4 8.51%
  • Ban user for a period.

20 42.55%
  • Don't ban, create a forum for "*****ing"

5 10.64%
  • Just moderate the posts.

18 38.30%
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning Users Poll

Default Banning Users Poll

Hi Guys,

Please give your input.
    Last edited by Basecamp; 27-08-14 at 10:58 AM.

You guys have a tough job and respect for taking an appropriate stand. In the past, some of the moderation has been slightly less than appropriate, but no bodys perfect, and we understand that the best decisions are made with the right motives. I could go on and on about my personal feelings around the thread and the exchange that transpired, but that wouldn't be adding any value, but to take on the job of moderating a forum like this, with the betterment and quality of the community as a motive, and for no personal gain, is commendable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basecamp View Post
    Hi Guys,

Please give your input.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Since the forum is not moderated 24/7, there will always be posts that are inappropriate. I reckon for the most part we are adults and can choose as to what we want to read (until it is moderated). So if after 2 posts you don't like what you read, close it, move on. If you keep reading and dislike, well, that is your own problem then.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Since the forum is not moderated 24/7, there will always be posts that are inappropriate. I reckon for the most part we are adults and can choose as to what we want to read (until it is moderated). So if after 2 posts you don't like what you read, close it, move on. If you keep reading and dislike, well, that is your own problem then.
    Are you trolling to be banned MG?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Ok so I took this approach on a forum I managed for a long time.

1. Just moderate lightly for as long as possible
    2. If it gets out of hand send a message (if someone needs constant moderations its a massive hassle for the admins)
    3. If it still gets out of hand give the guy a phone call (its a way different conversation than in the messaging)
    4. If it doesnt get better ban for a period (this might be fatal as some peoples egos cant handle this)
    5. Only as a last resort ban someone permanently (racial insults happening more than once and similar things have led me here)

Now many people have a big problem with moderation of a forum, but in my experience depending on the type of community present on the forum many of the most valued posters are chased away by one or two people that act like complete *******s. Lightly moderated forums seem to me to be more productive in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post

Mario the problem is when people post slanderous/racially charged stuff, its a risk for the owners and administrators of the forum. Thats why it should be lightly moderated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Are you trolling to be banned MG?
    Ja, just call me Bruce Banner hey
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Booze is one of the biggest problems on any forum. When someone gets out of hand in a pub, he either gets ushered or punched out. Either way he is ultimately silenced. Forums however a far wider reaching audience than the few within hearing-shot of the guy making an @ss of himself in a pub. The damage is being done at the time and should likewise be handled at the time. Unfortunately for some, 'brandewyn het nie brieke nie'!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    Mario the problem is when people post slanderous/racially charged stuff, its a risk for the owners and administrators of the forum. Thats why it should be lightly moderated.
    That's why I voted for moderation, and mentioned moderation in my reply yes. Banning users (permanently or for just a while) is (imho) a quick way of killing the forum.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Hundred percent. Posts in need of moderation would include sexist , racist, religious bigotry, and basically any form of narrow-mindedness that is designed to offend. Posts that are confrontational are not always a bad thing, and don't always need to be deleted, but can often be handled as you say. My problem comes in when some members consider themselves untouchable, and immune from the forum rules, and go around causing anger and hurt with impunity. These people need to check their motives as to why they do this, and if their own egos don't allow for self correction, they should be approached by the moderators. No one is bigger than the community, and nothing should be said on the forum that the poster would not otherwise do face to face. Again no one is perfect, and people should be able to openly apologise if they inadvertently cause anger or offense by an unreasonable post of a personal nature. Dissagreeing with someones opinion is a whole different story, and this should be allowed to continue, until it gets out of hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast