Thread: Fixing broken segment on Greys GS 8ft #4

Default Fixing broken segment on Greys GS 8ft #4

So,

before I build first one, i figured it would be useful if I practiced wrappinn and applying finish on my cracked rod.
    I don't know when it happened, but I suspect it was at some point during the fishing(genuine Sherlock Holmes conclusion).
    Bottom part of the second segment cracked. It's a small crack but I'm afraid continuing to fish would make it bigger.

This is how it looks.

Greys GS8ft#4.jpg

I have removed the wrapping, and crack is visible(around 7mm of it).

I was thinking of cutting excess of the blank where the crack is and rewrapping it, and I have two questions:
    - Is this enough?
    - What do you use for cutting graphite blanks(they seem very delicate to me, and I wouldn't want to make even larger damage)?
    If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him. - by Norman Maclean

7mm is quite a lot to take off. Keep in mind that your ferrule will fit 7mm shorter than before. However, fixing a crack to be 100% is going to be tough. I have fixed a crack similar to that by using superglue in the crack, then thread and epoxy again. Lasted well enough until for 3 years or so, but did open again. Cutting probably the best long-term solution.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Storvagun View Post
    So,

before I build first one, i figured it would be useful if I practiced wrappinn and applying finish on my cracked rod.
    Bottom part of the second segment cracked. It's a small crack but I'm afraid continuing to fish would make it bigger.

This is how it looks.

Greys GS8ft#4.jpg
    This type of crack generally happens when the rod sections are coming apart and you do not notice it, resulting in you casting with the male ferrule just inside the female, but with play, which results in the crack.
    Best to reinforce the section externally (ideally with a graphite sleeve from a broken rod) and re-wrap. Does not look great, but works.
    As Mario says, cutting down the female ferrule could lead to problems.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Thanks for quick responses!

I was on a virge of cutting it off...

How about using small amount of fiberglass tape on damaged part, and reinforcing it with epoxy or thread finish?
    If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him. - by Norman Maclean

Thanks for quick responses!

I was on a virge of cutting it off...

How about using small amount of fiberglass tape on damaged part, and reinforcing it with epoxy or thread finish?
    That would work. I fixed an old Daiwa of mine that had 2 cracks like this, but 2cm long. I used superglue in the cracks and a 4cm long section of electricians heat-shrink tubing over the ferule. That rod has lasted 10+years and held up to many yellows on the Vaal.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Best to reinforce the section externally (ideally with a graphite sleeve from a broken rod) and re-wrap. Does not look great, but works.
    An external sleeve would be by far the most effective fix, but a few practical implications.

a) You would have to strip all the guides on that section so that you would be able to slide the new sleeve over with the taper. This is to get the best possible fit. Sliding it from the female ferrule upwards will be easier, but not as snug.

b) I don't think you would have to re-wrap the ferrule then at all - the external sleeve would be much more than adequate protection. Painting it with a paint similar in colour to the wraps would be a good choice ito appearance.

c) Your glass tape would be a great compromise - but again, I doubt you'd need wraps. I'd superglue the crack and then wrap with your glass tape. Make sure you join the 2 sections (not too tight, will crack again) and wrap the tape as tight as you can. Then epoxy and then paint (if you care about looks). Adding thread over the tape will make it look really really bulky.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

http://www.amtcomposites.co.za/produ...s/carbon-braid
    strip down to the bare blank. slightly open the crack to get some epoxy into the crack. cover with a short section of braid and epoxy in.
    just be careful with the braid. keep the ends taped up till the last second. it unravels very quickly.
    catch and release

Thank you all once again.

I compromised a bit, but I believe it will be enough.

First, I removed all the wrapping and cleaned damaged female end of the ferrule. Afterwards, I coated approximately 7mm of damaged part with epoxy glue.
    When glue dried, I applied two turns of glass tape, and to top it all off, I coated everything in heat-shrinking tube. It seems solid, we'll see how much it's going to last.

greys.jpg

The best solution would probably be to use carbon fiber braid, but it would take me weeks to get it, so I used the things I had at home.
    Last edited by Storvagun; 01-09-14 at 07:42 PM.

The best solution would probably be to use carbon fiber braid, but it would take me weeks to get it, so I used the things I had at home.
    Which is usually the best solution to begin with Well done on fixing the section
    Mario Geldenhuys