Thread: New to Forum

Default New to Forum

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and I have a big problem. It's called fishing! And I can't get enough. Been doing it my whole life and I absolutely love it. Looking forward to learning from all the masters out there. I enjoy all types of fly fishing (trout, yellows, bass, carp, all saltwater fishing) and normally go where the season takes me. Yellow fishing and saltwater being at the top of my list. Thinking about going to the Vaal tomorrow, anyone know what the water temperature is?

howzit richard. I see u have the same problem as me. . Enjoy

Hi flyingbass, we should start a support group, haha. Went past the Vaal today. Caught 2 fish, 1.5 and 1kg small mouth yellow fish. Waters cold but might be at the magical 16 degree mark. Do you fish for yellows?

Howdy RichardC

I'm in the same boat, addicted to fly fishing, think we might need to start the FFA support group, sure we'll get allot of members.

Also waiting for the yellows to start moving into the shallows, can't wait. Going to give strome a go this Saturday.

Hey Edd, no point I think I'm too far gone I've heard of strome before but never been. Are there a lot of people? Went fishing this past weekend below Parys. Caught two yellows in the shallows (30 -40cm) 1.5kg and 1kg and missed a few takes, was only there for two hours so I think the fish are already in the shallows. I have been fishing religiously for the last few weeks and recently noticed that the bass have moved into the shallows and trout are more elusive which confirms this. I hope we have a good yellow season, not like the flooding last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
    Hey Edd, no point I think I'm too far gone I've heard of strome before but never been. Are there a lot of people? Went fishing this past weekend below Parys. Caught two yellows in the shallows (30 -40cm) 1.5kg and 1kg and missed a few takes, was only there for two hours so I think the fish are already in the shallows. I have been fishing religiously for the last few weeks and recently noticed that the bass have moved into the shallows and trout are more elusive which confirms this. I hope we have a good yellow season, not like the flooding last season.
    Strome is like most of the public water around the barrage area, sometimes it's busy sometimes not that much. They do allow bait fishermen, which sometimes fis the nice deeper areas.

Was at eendekuil about two weeks back and didn't even get a bite, but sounds like the fishing has picked up over the last two weeks so can't wait to go drown some flies.

Yea would also like a nice yellow season, I have less studies to do this year, so more time for fishing, so I hope it all goes well.

Where do you normally go get your fix?

Hey Edd, normally fish below the barrage but I use a kayak to get to my favourite pools. I recently started fishing at Kloofzicht lodge in muldersdrift which is a great location although one has to work for fish but good catches can be achieved. Are you into salt water fly fishing? Going to Hallanyit islands in southern Oman in December. GTs are super sized there. Have you seen this vid? Awesome!!! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_hv_Y410A