Page 547 of 635 FirstFirst ... 47 447 497 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 597 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,470 of 6346

Thread: Vaal River Update

Fished Vaal on Saturday. Flow was suprisingly high for this time of year (25cms) but I have noted they have dropped it again to 15cms. Water had a stained brownish colour, and viz was anything between 15-20cm depending flow and substructure. Water temp I guestimated to be between 13-14C. Fished with breathables. Got 5 smallies, between 1-2 kg in mostly meter deep glides and riffles, shallower and faster water had no takes as yet. Massive mafly hatch late afternoon. Barbel also on the prowl. Think about 2-3weeks time fishing would improve, but one cannot overlook influence of full moon on this weekends fishing.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Well done Dirk.

We fished Strome on Sunday. Water temp at 7:00 was 13 and rose to 14>5 at around 11:00. Wet wading was actually not that bad, even after I took my compulsory swim. :tongue: Visibilty was around 30 - 40 cms.

Every one had fish on the line, but none were landed

Specie hooked were SM yellows, muddies and a barbell, the latter starting to show activity.

I had a report of 8 SM in an afternoon near Potch on Thursday afternoon.

Unfortunately the angler concerned is now overseas so can not post for himself.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Andre, as per IC Stuff's posts and mine on the Vaal River Update thread, the visibility from the Barrage down to Silver Strome is goodish ( 30 - 40 cms ) with the water being the normal greenish colour.

From speaking to Gerrit it would seem that the problem is coming into the river below Strome and Parys. I know of a few devolopments that have sprung up on the banks of the river. Don't know if they are responsible.

A note of concern though, driving over the Klip River on the R 59 towards Vanderbijl today I noticed that the whole stream was covered in a white froth. Almost like someone had dumped 10 000 litres of bubble bath into the river

I have seen this froth before, but can not work out where it is coming from

Thanks RedHumpy. Looked at that yesterday but could only see info on pollution on the Vaal. I see there is some fishing feedback today.

Pity about the pollution at the Vaal. It's strange that the levels of toxins vary so much. I think that when the systems are overloaded some of the waste is diverted to the river unprocessed, surely that is the only explanation? It's 24 hrs later and I haven't broken out in any rashes yet. So guess it's safe for another session next weekend

Based on the link to the water report and samples on the Vaal update thread, page 530, I think it's clear that the problem is coming from the Klip river and the river that enters the Vaal just before the barrage from Vanderbijlpark. It seems like it is diluted by the main river and safe(r) below the barrage.

Hi.

The system that was reported, was the "Rietspruit" that flows through Sebokeng area. I spoke to Anton Hartmann about a week ago and he told me that DWAF/ Randburg and local municipal workers had gone and opened a lot of those blocked sewerage systems. He did a E.coli count again at the same sampling point where he got the 22 000 count in June, and it was down to between 1000-2000. The Klip is the second most polluted river in S.A....so that one will always have a problem (any body tell me which is more polluted? The Eerste in Stellies? or the Hennops?).
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Andre, as per IC Stuff's posts and mine on the Vaal River Update thread, the visibility from the Barrage down to Silver Strome is goodish ( 30 - 40 cms ) with the water being the normal greenish colour.

From speaking to Gerrit it would seem that the problem is coming into the river below Strome and Parys. I know of a few devolopments that have sprung up on the banks of the river. Don't know if they are responsible.

A note of concern though, driving over the Klip River on the R 59 towards Vanderbijl today I noticed that the whole stream was covered in a white froth. Almost like someone had dumped 10 000 litres of bubble bath into the river

I have seen this froth before, but can not work out where it is coming from
    I don't think there are any problems downstream as such, because the only significant inflows between Silwer strome and where I fish is the Mooi, Schoonspruit and Renoster. Potch has a green status with it's water purification so the mooi could not be a mayor issue. I have fished the Renoster as it flows just outside Viljoenskroon and is one of the hidden gems in the Free State. The Schoon is the only concern and as it is so low down (far below Parys) it could not be the culpritt. It is every year's issue this side, the snot and everything else lasts longer this far downstream, and with this weeks higher flows it should gradually clear from upstream. This side you make peace with the snot and viz untill the first decent 35+ cms flush for a few days.
    P.s. all the yellows I caught was in good condition some even looking a bit chubby, think it is the Boufet insects in the snot.
    Last edited by Barbus13; 09-09-14 at 09:02 AM.
    Dirk Human

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Well done Dirk.

We fished Strome on Sunday. Water temp at 7:00 was 13 and rose to 14>5 at around 11:00. Wet wading was actually not that bad, even after I took my compulsory swim. :tongue: Visibilty was around 30 - 40 cms.

Every one had fish on the line, but none were landed

Specie hooked were SM yellows, muddies and a barbell, the latter starting to show activity.

I had a report of 8 SM in an afternoon near Potch on Thursday afternoon.

Unfortunately the angler concerned is now overseas so can not post for himself.
    Thanks Herman.

Sounds basically the same as my report except the viz and the swim . Jip mr.wiskers really got busy from around 5o'clock. Jip reason I went out was when I spoke to Tiaan (yella) about the 8 he and a friend caught in the Schoemansdrift area one late afternoon, but he also said the viz is bad, same as I have in the Bothaville area I think. Seems he is enjoying Paris
    Dirk Human

It's pointless to have duplicate threads covering the same information.

The mods should merge this thread with the Vaal River Update thread.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Dirk. I'm looking at fishing either Nebo or Elgro on Sunday.:biggrin:

It's not that far from you.:wink:

You feel like joining me to renew an old combination ?

Page 547 of 635 FirstFirst ... 47 447 497 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 597 ... LastLast