Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Recommended reel weight for Sage One

Gary

I dont do all those weird forms of fishing but I do a lot of fishing with 9 to 12 wt rods. Imbalance just does not work here either. Which makes me wonder why certain reel manufacturers overport their reels to remove mass? You end up moving to a bigger reel in their series to achieve the correct mass and hence balance.

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Borger's recommendations would have been at a time when heavy reels and shorter rods were the norm, and high-sticking (arm outstretched most of the day) was also not the norm.

If you are fishing shorter/lighter rods (say 1-3wt 8ft rods), then balance point is relative and you can get away with a slightly unbalanced, but lighter outfit, especially if you are not nymphing the modern way.

If you are going to be fishing Euro/French/Highsticking style with your arm outstretched most of the time over the course of a whole day and using a 10ft rod, then balance is vital and the reel needs to have appropriate mass. Otherwise the rod will be tip heavy and you will end up with a very sore forearm from having to use your arm muscles to apply upwards force (to counteract the mass imbalance) to keep the rod in the horizontal position when nymphing.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Gary

I dont do all those weird forms of fishing but I do a lot of fishing with 9 to 12 wt rods. Imbalance just does not work here either. Which makes me wonder why certain reel manufacturers overport their reels to remove mass? You end up moving to a bigger reel in their series to achieve the correct mass and hence balance.
    Marketing. Lighter is *obviously* better, except when it is not.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

So true Gary. Well said

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    How do you like that nautilus fwx?been thinking of getting one?
    I really like it! Nice and smooth drag that handles turns of pace really well. Quite light as you can see, and just looks so darn pretty! I am not sure there are any other reels under $300 that could really compare. It feels a little rough and unbalanced when you reel in, but that's a minor irritation really.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

All my 4wt's are 8.5ft and i wonder in this instance with the lighter rods (2.3 - 2.7oz) a lighter reel would be better?
    The nautilus fwx 3/4 which im keen on is 3.6oz.Maybe too light?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    All my 4wt's are 8.5ft and i wonder in this instance with the lighter rods (2.3 - 2.7oz) a lighter reel would be better?
    The nautilus fwx 3/4 which im keen on is 3.6oz.Maybe too light?
    Maybe not. With a short(er) rod, the effect of the lever and length of b (~7.5) in the formula above mean that the lighter reel may work well.

Try borrowing a friends reel which has a similar empty mass. String the rod up with the reel, fitted with line & backing and run 3-5m of flyline through the eyes, then check for balance point.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Thanks Gary,i did think the 1/2ft less would make a difference.
    Balancing fly rods and reels seems to be a science nowdays as you have proved

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4