Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boron??

Default Boron??

Okay, so why are more companies not using this? Can't be exclusive to Winston only, can it??

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Interesting that you should post this.

Boron is stiffer and better than carbon, hence further away from noodly glass or kevlar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Interesting that you should post this.

Boron is stiffer and better than carbon, hence further away from noodly glass or kevlar
    The question is not why everyone is not using it in everything, the question is why are they not using it in anything at all (except Winston)?

What a sad world it would be if everyone had to just use glass, or just carbon, or just bamboo etc.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

In Ernie Schweibert's "Trout" he devotes a chapter to discussing material selection for fly-rods. The pro's and con's of cane, glass, carbon and boron are discussed.

This was in 1980! 34 years ago.

The conclusions are self evident, mostly, but boron was touted as the wonder material of the future.

Price is it's downfall.

Volume production of carbon fibre has brought it's price down significantly during the last 30 years. (Glass has always been cheap - witness bakkie canopies, swimming pools, roof insulation etc) but boron is still classed as an exotic material (as carbon was in the 1980's).

Would love to see the stuff become mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Can't be exclusive to Winston only, can it??

Nope. I had an old Orvis that was marked 'boron graphite'. It preceeded their carbon fibre rods
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    In Ernie Schweibert's "Trout" he devotes a chapter to discussing material selection for fly-rods. The pro's and con's of cane, glass, carbon and boron are discussed.

This was in 1980! 34 years ago.

The conclusions are self evident, mostly, but boron was touted as the wonder material of the future.

Price is it's downfall.

Volume production of carbon fibre has brought it's price down significantly during the last 30 years. (Glass has always been cheap - witness bakkie canopies, swimming pools, roof insulation etc) but boron is still classed as an exotic material (as carbon was in the 1980's).

Would love to see the stuff become mainstream.
    In Don Phillips book he talks about making strands of boron in his garage. How much more expensive would Boron be over graphite/carbon these days? Cold it be more expensive than researching something like Konnetic tech for example?
    Mario Geldenhuys

I guess it's down to volume production Mario.

Not sure why boron never became more mainstream.

I do'nt think you can go to a supplier like AMT and buy boron cloth though.

Maybe it's technical advantages do'nt outweigh price penalty?

In the video the rod shown is a combination of carbon and boron. Even if the boron content is 1% they can claim "boron reinforcement etc"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Nope. I had an old Orvis that was marked 'boron graphite'. It preceeded their carbon fibre rods
    Graphite is carbon fibre Chris, just another term for the same thing. As I posted elsewhere, 1 strand of boron included in the weave enables them to advertise "boron graphite etc" A lot of the early "cheapy" rods were actually mainly glass with about 10% graphite. They were typically "Graphite reinforced"

Boron has been used since the 70's in various applications

I have two Boron rods in the shop and they aren't Winston
    Regards
    Craig

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast