Thread: First timer need rod advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First timer need rod advice

OK

I mostly do saltwater fishing from a boat and need a new challenge. Also do the odd tiger trip and want to do
    a orange river trip within the next year. Mostly done spinning for tiger and snoek/yellowtail off the boat. Have a friend
    that has been catching a lot of snoek and lately a few yellowtail on fly. Intro done.

The question. I want to get a rod I can use on some tiger trips and on the yellowfish trips but won't mind if I can
    use the same rod a few times to catch a snoek or yellowtail.

My friend suggested a 6/7 wt for the yellowfish and tiger (Haven't gotten one over 3kg where we normally fish) and
    a 10 wt for the tail and snoek. Problem is I can't justify the cost of buying 2 outfits.

I have been looking at either a Stealth infinity 7wt or Bomber 7/8wt. What other suggestions do you guys think
    will work in the same price class ?

Thanks Rudolph

Quote Originally Posted by bulkcarrier View Post
    OK

I mostly do saltwater fishing from a boat and need a new challenge. Also do the odd tiger trip and want to do
    a orange river trip within the next year. Mostly done spinning for tiger and snoek/yellowtail off the boat. Have a friend
    that has been catching a lot of snoek and lately a few yellowtail on fly. Intro done.

The question. I want to get a rod I can use on some tiger trips and on the yellowfish trips but won't mind if I can
    use the same rod a few times to catch a snoek or yellowtail.

My friend suggested a 6/7 wt for the yellowfish and tiger (Haven't gotten one over 3kg where we normally fish) and
    a 10 wt for the tail and snoek. Problem is I can't justify the cost of buying 2 outfits.

I have been looking at either a Stealth infinity 7wt or Bomber 7/8wt. What other suggestions do you guys think
    will work in the same price class ?

Thanks Rudolph
    Difficult one. I think a 8wt is going to be a bit 'lig in die broek' for tail and a bit heavy for the freshwater species you intend targeting. Ideally you need two rods, but if I were you, I'd go for a powerful 7wt for your freshwater fishing and take my chances with the odd tail.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I can already predict the score on the yellowtail though. 6 love to the cleaners with you!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

That's for sure.... easy to tell whose never caught a yellow tail on a fly rod before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I can already predict the score on the yellowtail though. 6 love to the cleaners with you!
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

OK not too worried about the yellowtail. Don't think I will be able to survive the yellow fever when they are boiling with a fly rod in my hand.

More looking at yellowfish and tiger and having fun with the snoek. Prob will more often playing with the snoek than the yellowfish , but if it takes me 30 min to land also not too worried.

My biggest target this year is my 100kg yellowfin on spinning.

Normally fish 15-30lbs braid for yellowtail. Def possible if you aren't fishing between the kelp to land a tail on lighter outfits.

Hi Rudolph...I sent you a private message about a 10w stealth bomber im looking to offload...let me know if you interested
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith