Thread: To float tube or not to float tube?

Default To float tube or not to float tube?

Could someone give me the lowdown on float tubes vs fishing off a bank? We are spending 6 days in Notties next week for some stillwater fishing (I have fished the same spot for about 4 years). It's a relatively big dam and I am trying to see if investing in the tube is worth it? THANKS

I love fishing off the tube, cheapest way if getting to those "inaccessible" spots. On large stillwaters it always better off of one. Make sure to get a decent one with seat so that you sit higher out of the water.

Casting is a bit less frustrating as the stripped line lies on n stripping net/tray.
    George Victor Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Oelschig View Post
    Could someone give me the lowdown on float tubes vs fishing off a bank? We are spending 6 days in Notties next week for some stillwater fishing (I have fished the same spot for about 4 years). It's a relatively big dam and I am trying to see if investing in the tube is worth it? THANKS
    If you have a bit of cash floating around, get the tube.
    Definitely worth it, opens up so much more water to fish
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

What I have found fishing off the kickboat, you get to fish lies and cover etc. much more thoroughly
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

To keep it simple...

Yes! Its worth it.

The same dam that you have fished for 4 years has more structure, honey holes and fish than you would ever have thought.
    Being able to get there with something comfortable and stealthy allows you to access the rest of what the pond has to offer.

Be prepared to look at all water in a different view after your fist tubing session or two...
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Yip, a float tube is the best way to fish a lake, even small ones.

It allows you to fish every area of the lake, along weed beds, away from the banks and structure out of reach of bank anglers.

Although the initial cost might seem steep, the enjoyment and better fishing one has, far outlast the initial expense.

Yup... get one... don't think to hard about it... just get one, you wont be sorry.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

get the tube, great way of spending some quality fishing time!

Definitely worth it. You wont want to fish from the bank anymore once you start tubing. Lekker to get pulled around by a trout.
    Regards,
    Leonardo

Thanks everyone. As luck would have it, Tom Sutcliffe's latest mailer had a guy selling a brand new V Boat with flippers. Managed to grab it before anyone else did at a good deal. Sweet.