Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: French and Czech Leaders for a long rod???

There are the "General use formula"
    They also have the following special leader formulas
    Leader Small river, fast water dry fly
    Leader Wet fly Large and small
    Leader Indicator With indicator dry- nymph,
    Leader Indicator dry -nymph, Large river
    Leader Special Nymph, Sight fishing
    Leader Standard, all using.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Well I'm certainly not going to carry a back pack for all those leaders.

I've tied the leader based on the formula of this page

http://nwcutthroat.com/2014/09/08/lo...eader-to-hand/

Going to give that a go and see where it takes me.

All you need is a couple of bank banks, to hold the leaders. in your top pocket if you want, or a very tiny backpack, just for 4 or 5 bank bags on your back.
    But the general leader is fine for the normal Cape Streams.
    You realize why the French are so good, a leader for every type of water and type of fishing.
    Pascal described to us how the leaders work and which part does what.
    You also start to realize that a leader for sight nymphing and dry fly cannot be the same, the one you want i.e. cast a loop upstream so not the line the fish, if you do dry fly, but the other, if you do sight fishing with a weighted micro nymph, will behave different, because the weight of the nymph and the direct line that you want to land for immediate contact and control. For our general stream fishing a pre tapered leader from the fly shop will work, but if you start to be very specific, you understand the need for different leaders.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Well I'm certainly not going to carry a back pack for all those leaders.

I've tied the leader based on the formula of this page

http://nwcutthroat.com/2014/09/08/lo...eader-to-hand/

Going to give that a go and see where it takes me.
    That is the leader to hand, not a french leader. And I don't recognize that leader setup. From any of the French, Czech-French or the Czech formulas. This a very gradually uniform taper. The original leader setup posted my MC, is the Standard General Use leader, as described by Pascal in his formula, a couple of the other guys have their own leader formulas that work for them and their own rods or casting style
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    All you need is a couple of bank banks, to hold the leaders. in your top pocket if you want, or a very tiny backpack, just for 4 or 5 bank bags on your back.
    But the general leader is fine for the normal Cape Streams.
    You realize why the French are so good, a leader for every type of water and type of fishing.
    Pascal described to us how the leaders work and which part does what.
    You also start to realize that a leader for sight nymphing and dry fly cannot be the same, the one you want i.e. cast a loop upstream so not the line the fish, if you do dry fly, but the other, if you do sight fishing with a weighted micro nymph, will behave different, because the weight of the nymph and the direct line that you want to land for immediate contact and control. For our general stream fishing a pre tapered leader from the fly shop will work, but if you start to be very specific, you understand the need for different leaders.
    Korrie,

If I remember correctly Pascal advised that he used the exact same leader for dry fly, nymphing and stillwaters. He said all the leaders ascribed to him on the Internet and in Karel's book were wrong and were not his leader formulas. One thing that stood out for me with Pascal is that he didn't try to complicate things, he just did the basics very well. He also said that you don't have to measure your leaders exactly, he said tie up different ones, fish them and see what works for you. If you find one that works well then make a note of the lengths and replicate it. He also said you would need to modify the leader depending on conditions - he advised to shorten the progressive part of the leader instead of the tippet section.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Yeah leader to hand. It seems to me though that if you have a good leader design, like Pascals and extend the butt section to eliminate the need for fly line then you should have a workable hand to leader design. The one I tied was the first formula I found on the web, but thinking about it today I am going to simply extend pascals butt section and give that a go as well. trying something new. If it doesn't work. Chuck it and try again.

I fish pascals leader that he showed at his clinic and it works really well on my 10 foot rod. Not so great on the 8"6 but then it was designed for a 10 foot rod.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Korrie,

If I remember correctly Pascal advised that he used the exact same leader for dry fly, nymphing and stillwaters. He said all the leaders ascribed to him on the Internet and in Karel's book were wrong and were not his leader formulas. One thing that stood out for me with Pascal is that he didn't try to complicate things, he just did the basics very well. He also said that you don't have to measure your leaders exactly, he said tie up different ones, fish them and see what works for you. If you find one that works well then make a note of the lengths and replicate it. He also said you would need to modify the leader depending on conditions - he advised to shorten the progressive part of the leader instead of the tippet section.
    That's how I understood his explanation regarding leader design.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Korrie,

You are 100% right, that one that he described is the formula for the "General Leader setup" But he has a couple of other leaders as well, as mentioned. He also mentioned for fast flowing mountain streams to shorten up. Can you imagine how long it would have taken to run thru another 5 formulas and describing the action, discussing the actions etc, We could have extended the course with another day.

The lengths of the various leaders differ from 3,25m to 5,80m
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    You are 100% right, that one that he described is the formula for the "General Leader setup" But he has a couple of other leaders as well, as mentioned. He also mentioned for fast flowing mountain streams to shorten up. Can you imagine how long it would have taken to run thru another 5 formulas and describing the action, discussing the actions etc, We could have extended the course with another day.

The lengths of the various leaders differ from 3,25m to 5,80m
    I wish he could have extended his course for a week

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    I wish he could have extended his course for a week
    Jean, I share your wish. Spending 3 weeks with him, made me realize how little I know.
    Korrie Broos

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789