Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vanderkloof Dam Outflow

Default Vanderkloof Dam Outflow

Hi guys,

We're heading to Vanderkloof dam in a month's time. We are taking my boat, but I would love to fish the river below the wall as well.

Does anyone know where I can find the times when they will be opening up the sluice gates on a daily basis? From dwaf.gov.za it looks like they open them up every day at 07:00 and 17:00. So the flows stay up pretty much for the whole day, which isn't good news!

Any help would be appreciated. And report back to come...

P

BE CAREFUL BELOW THE DAM.
    On one trip we fished below the dam, normally, a terrible siren goes, but this day, nothing.
    We were standing in the middle of the river, and Chris, asked, "is this river rising?"
    I replied, "not sure, lets watch the rocks" within 10 seconds we were sure it was rising rapidly.
    We made for the bank as fast as possible
    It rose as we watched, by about 1,5m in 2 minutes, we where very lucky to get out.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

No more access is allowed below the dam wall.All gates and access points are closed....I was told you can get the keys for the gate in town but i am not sure this is the case.
    If you have a boat then rather spend as much time on the dam.Also,dont do the whole trip into the Bergrivier unless you want to target barbel that spawn at the inlet area.Smallmouth and largemouth are very abundant.
    Have a largy and smallmouth rod rigged and switch as needed.Even if you see no activity of smallmouths you can still cat to likely areas and get good quantities...enjoy

It's a long haul to the best part of the dam, so it is doubtful that you will have time for the river as well in one day anyway boet. Concentrate on the dam rather.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Thanks gents. The plan was to fish the river in the mornings until they open up the gates, and then go and fish the dam. But we'll see. I just hope the dam is warm enough by the 16th to target the largies properly! Oh, and we'll have access to some private waters below the wall and below Snorville/Orania.

Is the Berg river the one across (north-east) of the town? We don't know the dam at all, so might just wing it ito fishing spots. Unless I get some good info here (nudge-nudge, wink-wink)......

Manne, a few more questions...

Can one still fish at Havenga bridge? Is there a venue in this area? Or should one organize with one of the land owners? How long does it take for the water to get here?

Is the dam fishable without a boat? Aka can one walk from town and fish along the banks, much like sterkies?

Dankie!

Blog Entries

Hi Jacques, I was there recently and it is private land unfortunately, but fortunately that land can be accessed through Klaas Viljoen http://www.theflyguides.com/contact/item/klaas-viljoen

Check this out: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Thanks Jade! I drove over that bridge a few years ago and saw the exact same scene... No fishing rod with me... idiot!

Also, where can I buy some Muishond flies?

Hi Jacques. I see you are from Pretoria, so you will more than likely be heading down to vdK on the N1? If you can spare an extra day, book in at Orange River Destiny and fish the rapids a few hundred metres west of the lodge. Its a brilliant spot! You access ORD by crossing the Orange and continuing for 5km on the Colesberg side. Take a left onto the gravel road directly opposite the entrance to Orange River Lodge (not to be confused with Orange River Destiny). At the T-junction turn left onto the tar again and that will take you back to ORD.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast