Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GeoBass: Papua New Guinea

Default GeoBass: Papua New Guinea

killer vid

Great clip ...

Too bad the yanks had to ruin it by talking ...
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Awesome imagery and amazing part of the world - those river systems up there really are incredible.

They actually had a pretty tough time of it. I will be up there in a couple of weeks in a remote river system so hope to find out for myself about these beasts. It has been decided that due to restlessness in the area we will be camping on an island in one of the rivers rather than staying in a lodgepole house with a local family in one of the little villages along the river as was originally planned....interesting !!

TFO have sent me a couple of their BW Mini rods which they advise are ideal for this kind of fishing. 500 grain or so but with a more active taper than the BW HD and so are much more castable but very robust indeed as is needed. Given that you do not need a lot of backing for these fish I will probably use much smaller reels than the onese they were using - lighter and easier to cast all day with. Colton's smaller reels in the 8/9 wt range pull almost as much as their larger 1315 wt reel so this should work nicely.

Have 85 flies ready for this trip including a lot of brush flies, gold bomber flies and FPF's from Cliffie at Fishient, and have tied a heap of black/purple bendback deceivers in 6/0 and 8/0 with Mirror Image and Slinky Fibre....these waters can be fly graveyards so better to go prepared...

Hope to have a report back after the trip - can't wait! Awesome wild part of the world. Bass, barra, toga's and in the lower reaches GT's, queenies and a host of other fine sports fish.

Steve

Great adventure fishing, but jeez these okes milk it............. as only yanks can
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

I dont know if I want to catch a fish that strong . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Yep Lefty did it 30 years ago. Rod Harrison and Dean Butler too, the latter ran a lodge and guiding gig up there for a while before local politics stuffed it.

They do go on - a lot of sensationalist waffle and hype - I guess partly because the fishing was pretty hard or else the movie would have been filled with fish hits and fishing.....hope we don't have to struggle like that. Have seen some pretty huge fish being caught up there on conventional gear recently...Leviathan lines for sure - nothing else will give you the pulling power...stocked up on a few.

My last trip there we had boats in the water in one spot and brought the outboards with us in the bakkies. Had to take them off every night or else they get diefed ! propblem was it was about 500m away from the shack where we parked to the boats - waist deep in a little channel through the mangroves - motors on a pole between us....not very comfy with that given the salties that live in those parts !!! Thankfully they do get hunted up there unlike northern Australia where you are not allowed to touch them and so hopefully have a bit more respect for people !!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I dont know if I want to catch a fish that strong . . .
    I don't know if I want to catch a fish that strong and then NOT be able to do it every weekend/month...

Quote Originally Posted by igfafly View Post
    Awesome imagery and amazing part of the world - those river systems up there really are incredible.

They actually had a pretty tough time of it. I will be up there in a couple of weeks in a remote river system so hope to find out for myself about these beasts...
    I was wondering if you had spent any time pursuing these brutes, considering your proximity. It 's a long way to go from the other side of the world, so I am green with envy.

Will be interesting to hear your cast for cast in terms of the differences between targeting the Papuan Black Bass and Barramundi in the same river systems, y'know ... Is it a matter of fly/size selection into the same structure which results in either a Bass or Barra or do they hang out in different locations or is it simply a case of pot luck on the cast.

Hope you document your trip, you will have some eager couch participants this side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast