Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GeoBass: Papua New Guinea

Definitely intend to document it well. Have a couple of GoPros a regular video cam an SLR and a waterproof cam too - the camping on the island bit has us worried wrt ability to recharge batteries.

Fished the Sagarai system near Alotau in PNG a few years ago - big rains buggered that for us.

Actually over the birder this time in west Papua doing an exploratory thing with some guys looking at setting up a formal gig much the same as Jason Yip is doing in PNG, so it is pretty unexplored.

Have been chatting to an ichthyologist from one of our universities re their behaviour and habitat. He is doing a study on them and has been a wealth of knowledge.

Can't wait.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by igfafly View Post
    Definitely intend to document it well. Have a couple of GoPros a regular video cam an SLR and a waterproof cam too - the camping on the island bit has us worried wrt ability to recharge batteries.

Fished the Sagarai system near Alotau in PNG a few years ago - big rains buggered that for us.

Actually over the birder this time in west Papua doing an exploratory thing with some guys looking at setting up a formal gig much the same as Jason Yip is doing in PNG, so it is pretty unexplored.

Have been chatting to an ichthyologist from one of our universities re their behaviour and habitat. He is doing a study on them and has been a wealth of knowledge.

Can't wait.

Steve
    Can't wait for this report!!!!
    Steve I hope you guys have a blast.

awesome, that was insane ... 14 wt splintered in the blink of an eye!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    ... 14 wt splintered in the blink of an eye!
    The particular rod that broke was involved with a line wedged directly down (unavoidable high stick) between the tree trunk and the boat :smile:
    The broken rod appears to be a LOOP rod (hey I'm a big fan of LOOP rods), but any rod brand would've broken in that situation. I don't see anything heavier than 12wt in the current LOOP range. The defeated angler even mentions "small gear". The mistake IMHO was trying to get that particular fish onto the reel (17:18) for fighting too early in the piece.

I also think the earlier references to "14wt" were actually the TFO bluewater rods that very luckily landed fish - in easier snag circumstances, and the fish were fought on the line only during the early danger times.

The movie is an admirable marketing production, considering only two bass landed and one lost in total for the trip :smile:
    The highest form of existence is play.

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    The particular rod that broke was involved with a line wedged directly down (unavoidable high stick) between the tree trunk and the boat :smile:
    sure, but still takes a powerful fish to force you into such a situation ...

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    I also think the earlier references to "14wt" were actually the TFO bluewater rods that very luckily landed fish
    possibly, i thought i hear them say 14wts ... might be wrong?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

... or stupidity, it's like being surprised when a rod snaps when you lift a fish out of the water with it.

That rod should have been put down on the boat, with enough slack line to facilitate a hand removal and rescue of the fish.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Agree. But busting the rod shouldn't be attributed to the magical prowess of the fish, a 74wt rod would've bust with same abuse at angler end.
    I'm not smarter BTW, I would've bust a rod in same situation. The lesson in hindsight for anyone who ever gets there is to forget the reel till the beast-fish is conquered.
    Take a wrap of line and hold on!!!!

possibly, i thought i hear them say 14wts ... might be wrong?
    Yes, that's exactly what they intended you to hear. There were definitely 14wts on the trip. But what was the rod that broke?
    The highest form of existence is play.

Quote Originally Posted by fdavis View Post
    For some reason i cant play the video. Ah got it on you tube...
    Last edited by karoo; 27-09-14 at 06:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2