Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Are trout just plain stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    ok...thanks shaun...some of us are trying to work here mate......
    Ya.... right Steven, like you do Startin to look like this thread

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Ya.... right Steven, like you do Startin to look like this thread
    birds of a feather..........
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

birds of a feather..........
    Pigs and swine would be more appropriate...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Eina....The truth hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Pigs and swine would be more appropriate...
    Now, now Mr. Cox. This is a small community and could have serious consiquensis..... I might just have to get violent with you and dress you in Spandex!!!

you know kevin enough is enough...every time you throw your 2c into a thread it just goes pear shaped....i think i speak for quite a few people on the site when i say that this site isnt meant for joking around...go join facebook if you want to do that.....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Well said mate. I couldn't agree more. They are excellent takers of just about anything actually, whether that be a fly, twig, cigarette butt, you name it.

I remember one extremely joyful experience at the same stillwater a few weeks after those same stooopid fish had became a little bit more educated. In fact, so wise had they become, that they pretty much refused anything that was attached to a line. They would follow the fly, carefully observing all the time, only to turn away at the last moment. My faith was restored when I managed to outwit them on a bare hook one day. This was a plain red anodised hook that was given to me from the closed hand of a learned friend. With a glint in his eye and smile on his face, he said, 'instant bloodworm' as he opened his hand in mine.

I had all but forgotten about this 'fly' until this one particular day, when I had basically exhausted all my options. On impulse I attached the gleaming red hook to a length of 8X tippet. The trout were cruising up and down the bank in sight of all the unsuccessful anglers, so this was one important part of the equation eliminated......the fish were there, no doubt about that! They just weren't interested in anything that we had to offer. "This is the kind of fishing that I love" I thought, as I delicately presented the non desript bare hook well to the left of a cruising trout, and bringing it in slowly to intercept a sizeable fish as it approached.
    The Mrs Simpson brigade were basically bystanders at this moment, having long since thrown in the towel. As such, they were not there to distract or intimidate me anymore with their "Whoohooo's", "Got him!", "Got another one!", "Ohhh yeah, look at him go!" etc, etc exclamations......and now I could fish the way that I enjoy fishing, slowly and sensitively!
    As I watched the approaching fish from the corner of my eye, I could see it's body language change as it homed in on the red hook and I knew this would be it as it confidently approached and sucked in the fly. I had some anxious moments with that fish, especially on such a light tippet, but my little Orvis Ultrafine cussioned the tippet beautifully. To much applause, I was instantly promoted to legendary status by the many fishless bystanders as I released the 2kg Rainbow a few minutes later. That single experience completely restored my faith in those same 'dumb' fish who just days before had completely dumbfounded me. I realised then that for me, the thing that I most enjoy about fishing is not so much about how many I catch on the day, but more about how I catch them. All too often, one fish, just one fish has become the stuff of my dreams, and this was without a doubt one of them.

Thanks again to the wise old gentleman who gave me that 'fly'. You know who you are
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 12-06-07 at 11:06 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Now, now Mr. Cox. This is a small community and could have serious consiquensis..... I might just have to get violent with you and dress you in Spandex!!!
    OK OK OK ILL STOP!!!!!!!!! Just please dont dress me in Spandex- I DONT WANT TO LOOK GAY!!!

Stephen- watch out bra- I know where you live! And whats this thing about the boys of 21???- 21 - when two became one... whhhhhhooooooooooo! Maybe Leonard will dress you up in Spandex!
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

you know kevin enough is enough...every time you throw your 2c into a thread it just goes pear shaped....i think i speak for quite a few people on the site when i say that this site isnt meant for joking around...go join facebook if you want to do that.....
    Steven and Kevin STOP. I think that it would be appropriate if you guys stop eking each other we are all friends.

Kevin.... Steven is actually a nice guy and I think that if you had to invite him fishing with you, you would find that he is actually very pleasant.

Steven.... I know some of Kevin's friends and by the company that he keeps one can see that he is a nice guy. I think it would be in your best interest to make up.

All I know is that he drinks like a whoos...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast