Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Doring river / clanwilliam

Great article mc hopefully I can shoot out there and get into both smallies and some clan yellows will also try nymphimg for them

And korrie for sure I understand that feeling ! I used to work in the zambezi valley and had that same issue all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Russdlh View Post
    Thanks a lot for all the info guys will take it all to heart ! How will the fishing for smallies be around mid November when it warms up even more ? I'm struggling to find a weekend to head out there now
    Smallies should be great that time.
    Down stream from the camp site, the river is a braided stream, for the first 1km or so,with lots of tiny streams, at first it is a maze, but you will find your way.
    You can walk kilometers down stream, about 10km downstream there is a weir in the river. You can walk, wade, fish all the way there.
    There is a road back on the opposite of the river, that makes walking back much easier than walking on the banks of the river.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-32.5.../data=!3m1!1e3
    The campsite on Googlemaps. follow the river all the way until you see weir
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Lekker thread guys. If you haven’t gone yet Russ, this might help a little. De Mond has some serious smallies. Haven't gone downstream much but there are a few nice pools and runs up above the main pool. If you don't have a boat, you want to walk downstream to the bridge below the camp, cross it, and walk up the far side of the big pool. There are a few fishable spots going upstream on the campsite side but once you get near the junction up at the top you will find some serious palmiet between the cliffs and the stream. You can crash through it and then wade/swim across the stream but better to walk up the far side. Apologies for the gruesome pic, but those bass shouldn’t be there (and are quite lekker on the skottel). The top fish is about 18inches and had a go at a fair sized bluegill hooked with a little vibrax spinner! Picture 284.jpg

Thanks Chris thats some awesome info and nice fish , i will have a boat and am still struggling to get out there but will go soon ! as Korrie said downstream sounds good for a good distance so can do that on one day do you know anything about upstream ...i will have a bass motor on an inflatable which i will use .... even if its far upstream and would mean staying somewhere other than de mond

Hi all I spent a week at Die Mond before Xmas - this is one of my favorite spots to chill out 100%. The bass fishing has deteriorated over the last few years unfortunately and probably largely due to the big fish being removed. I killed 18 fish in one session a good few years back. Although nowadays my thinking has changed more toward the bass being required to keep bluegill numbers in check, so I have begun throwing the bass back. I think I read somewhere that the bluegill is in fact more damaging to the indigenous species as they will actually hoover up thousands of eggs during spawning time.

Another thing that is alarming (as everywhere else), is the slow choking of our rivers on alien vegetation.

I also had an extremely close shave with a puff adder and if I had not actually hooked a fish and spent more time on one particular spot, I would have stepped on this snake as it was lying beside me for almost 10 minutes without moving. I only heard it once it started moving into the longer grass. This is definitely not the place to get yourself into trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    Hi all I spent a week at Die Mond before Xmas - this is one of my favorite spots to chill out 100%. The bass fishing has deteriorated over the last few years unfortunately and probably largely due to the big fish being removed. I killed 18 fish in one session a good few years back. Although nowadays my thinking has changed more toward the bass being required to keep bluegill numbers in check, so I have begun throwing the bass back. I think I read somewhere that the bluegill is in fact more damaging to the indigenous species as they will actually hoover up thousands of eggs during spawning time.

Another thing that is alarming (as everywhere else), is the slow choking of our rivers on alien vegetation.

I also had an extremely close shave with a puff adder and if I had not actually hooked a fish and spent more time on one particular spot, I would have stepped on this snake as it was lying beside me for almost 10 minutes without moving. I only heard it once it started moving into the longer grass. This is definitely not the place to get yourself into trouble!
    The alien vegetation is bad. The Selons Roos/Nerium Oleander has found the perfect habitat in that area.
    The bad part it is also poisonous.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Anyone have any recent Cedarberg reports? I'm taking a long weekend break up to one of my favourite spots. I will feedback next week.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Never actually fished up Cederberg way - I really need to get my ass in gear!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Anyone have any recent Cedarberg reports? I'm taking a long weekend break up to one of my favourite spots. I will feedback next week.
    We must chat, have 4 invitations to new spots that is unchartered waters.
    Korrie Broos

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast