Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Carp Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I'm heading to Roodekopjes this weekend, my mate who is currently there informed me the carp are all kop onderstebo feedig like crazy in water up to 1.5m deep, so I am seriously considering packing my 5WT and a few tiny buggers.
    Roodekopjes is probably the most ideal venue for carp on fly, bar only the crocs. Still, I have caught them off the boat on lead-heads with short casts. And against my better judgement I have waded there too, although this was 20 years ago. Most aggressive carp I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Richard Simpkins from the Urban Fly fishers, had very good catches on carp in the urban dams. Might be good to chat to him
    Just got off the phone with Richard. I am going to be popping around to their shop sometime this week, to pick their brains. I will report here as and when I make progress targeting Carp on fly.

Sounds a bit like the Vaal is fast catching up, as SA's number 1 carp venue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicus View Post
    Roodekopjes is probably the most ideal venue for carp on fly, bar only the crocs. Still, I have caught them off the boat on lead-heads with short casts. And against my better judgement I have waded there too, although this was 20 years ago. Most aggressive carp I have ever seen.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Apologies if this was posted already ...

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Apologies if this was posted already ...

hehehe..it was, but it is worth another watch anyway. it embodies the "something special" about fly-fishing that is just so hard to put into words.

Originally Posted by Korrie
    Richard Simpkins from the Urban Fly fishers, had very good catches on carp in the urban dams. Might be good to chat to him
    Just got off the phone with Richard. I am going to be popping around to their shop sometime this week, to pick their brains. I will report here as and when I make progress targeting Carp on fly.
    So I paid Urban Fly-fishers a visit yesterday, and ended up having a chat to Reuben Torres. The man is clearly passionate about his hobby of fly-fishing, and specifically about carp fly-fishing. I got exactly the kind of information from him I was looking for.

Thanks Korrie for pointing me in their direction.

Expect some related posts on this thread in the near future.

will love to catch a nice carp on fly

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4