Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How much credit should the fly get?

I think a fun little comp would be, get some guys together at a stillwater. The night of arrival you all tie the shittiest possible fly you can. You make a bit of a show of it and explain to the group why you chose to use what. Then at the end of the night, there is a blind choosing of a flies in a random way, one fly per person. You keep that fly and that is the fly you have to fish the next day. The first person who catches a fish wins . . . .
    Last edited by JadeDsantos; 14-10-14 at 08:37 PM. Reason: better comp idea - I think this should be included in nationals
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

I think its all relative according to your skill level. I would agree that for someone with very poor skills, the fly wouldn't make much difference. That is to say that the angler with poor skills wont be able to put the fly where it needs to be and make the fly behave the way it should. If you put the same two flies in the hands of an experienced angler, I think you will see a marked difference in the catch rates of the two.

With all that being said, I dont think there are any flies (except Jeans fly in the previous post :tongue that wouldn't catch a fish if presented well. Some flies will just catch more than other flies in certain instances (depending on movements, floating or sinking characteristic or colour etc), and it is the job of the angler to know which fly to use as which time.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I think a fun little comp would be, get some guys together at a stillwater. The night of arrival you all tie the shittiest possible fly you can. You make a bit of a show of it and explain to the group why you choose to use what. Then at the end of the night, there is a blind choosing of a flies in a random way, one fly per person. You keep that fly and that is the fly you have to fish for a predetermine time the next day. . . . .maybe an hour or so. The person who catches the most fish wins . . . .
    Hahaha, Jade I wanna tie you a fly. It will be a VEEEERY slow day for you boet!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Hahaha, Jade I wanna tie you a fly. It will be a VEEEERY slow day for you boet!
    Ha ha ha show me! If a blob can catch fish, I am not sure what could be worst?!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Its all about the fly...

Attachment 23694
    A thing of beauty, I recognise a whirlwind fly anywhere :-)
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I think it is the Fisherman which is the most important factor in whether the fly catches the fish or not.

CONFIDENCE in his ability to present the fly correctly coupled with his ability to select a fly that he believes will tempt the fish. Puts the fisherman in a position where he should have a modicum of success.

That is of course If the wind is right. If the light is right. If the water is just right. The fish are willing and he didn't leave his rod at home. Have Fun.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

I might be humming on a bit here, but as I understand it the topic is all about the FLY - nothing else. So, if you were to choose a fly from a 1000 flies in a box, I'd choose the best possible fly for the situation. What is "best" - the one with the right size, colour, shape, weight and triggers. And this is where the rest comes into play ... your ability to select those things based on previous experiences (call it skillset/reading water/feel if you wish) and applying and correcting on past experiences (technique) to be able to fish that fly in the best possible manner. Now, if you take all of the above, and change only the fly to the "worst" possible one, I am pretty sure the percentages will show that the better fly will catch more fish more consistently.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

My 2c. Anyone can catch a fish on any fly with any technique. To catch consistently though you need to apply both the correct technique and the correct fly to the conditions. If nymphing you can fish the same pattern all day but you need to change weights all the time to get the correct drift without hanging up. If fishing a dry fly you do exactly the same thing, you change the pattern depending on water depth, flow rate and visibility. Same applies to streamers and wet flies. You don't have to do this, you can fish the same fly all day and you will catch fish but to improve your catch rate you need to change to match the conditions. As the water flows calm down this becomes less important as the conditions flatten out and the average fly will work in average conditions. Give the average flyfisher Pascal Cognard's fly box and he is unlikely to achieve the same catch rate as Pascal. Give Pascal the average fly fishers fly box and he will still catch fish but unlikely as many as he would with his own box of flies as he wouldn't know the weighting etc and wouldn't have the same confidence fishing someone elses flies.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Fly selection to "me" is everything it's the final connection between you and the fish. If you catch fish on crap flies you had the right fly in the first place it's when your crap fly don't catch anymore when you start to think about changing flies long before you change things like fly-line, leaders, technique,lie,angle,etc.

I am always cautious when speaking of flies as I am often accused of blowing my own trumpet when I extol the virtues and fly catching ability of my "Jacks Roughy." A Fly I fish nearly 90% of the time I am fishing small streams or rivers both Summer and Winter.

Others who fish the fly tell me it is a real fish fetcher and are happy to have it in their fly box.

Of course I should point out that in most cases the trout I am fishing to are Opportunist feeders and I am not sure how the fly would perform if presented to a fish selectively feeding.

Anecdotal evidence from the U.K. seems to indicate that it is capable of fooling fish during a rise and Grayling seem to have quite a liking for the fly.

That the fly is important in the scheme of things is in no doubt in my way of thinking. After all it is the Point Of Contact between we mere mortals and our intended prey. Have Fun.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast