Thread: Durban side for the next week.

Default Durban side for the next week.

Hello everyone. Exams are done and holidays have officially started so now the fishing can commence again

I'm in Durban until the 13th and I just picked my new 9wt setup so if there is anyone who is willing to have a rookie tag along down to the surf please send me a message! I would love to get a line in while I'm here

Other than that some advice would be great, anyone have some contacts of shops or folks who could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Hey bud,

Not sure I'll head out into the surf before the 13th due to year end commitments, but if I do I'll give you a yell.

As for advice...the whole coast is scattered with fish. Are you staying in Durban itself? Or are you north or south?

If you're in Durban the harbour provides a good venue to learn the salt, although it does blow hot and cold. I'd recommend wading the banks near Wilson's Wharf. It's a bit deep at high tide so go closer to low tide, and fish either a pushing or pulling tide. Don't wade in the dark due to the sharks in the bay, but daytime is fine. Early morning and late afternoon are best, and I'd recommend fishing clousers and crazy charlies (due to the hook up not dragging in the sand). Shrimp colours and olive greens work best. Cast into the channel for your game fish, but if you're not having any luck fish over the shallows for gurnards, sole, etc. Any fish is better than no fish.

Otherwise the beaches are great fun and there should be plenty of wave garrick around right now. Look for holes and cast over the backs of waves. Orange and white work best colour wise. And my choice of fly would be a salty bugger or a crazy charlie. If you're fishing dawn or dusk, there may be bigger fish around so go to clousers or deceivers. Up north Westbrook is a great beach to fish. Down south Scottburgh is great.

Fishing off the rocks is also a great option and can produce some nice blacktail, stone bream, and kingies if you're lucky. Small flies work well, and try and fish the channels and gullies.

Hope that helps.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post

As for advice...the whole coast is scattered with fish. Are you staying in Durban itself? Or are you north or south?

Hope that helps.
    Thanks alot man!

I spoke to the chaps at Kingfisher they were really helpful.
    They had suggested the harbor as well they reckoned a lot of springer were around.

They had also suggested i head up to Ballito , I'm in Morning side at the moment and am heading up to the midland on Saturday so I'm going to give some trout a dig but I should be heading to Sheffield Beach tomorrow evening maybe, but definitely on Monday/Tuesday. The reports are minimal swells or winds so I'm hoping for some chilled conditions to give it a bash!

I'll let you know how it goes!