Thread: Who is going to fish the vaal this weekend?

Default Who is going to fish the vaal this weekend?

I see there is a chance of rain this weekend in the potch area. still going to try my luck. who else is going?

Well, as I have said in another thread, 3 friends and I have booked lodgings at Arendsnes for Saturday night. Idea was to leave early Saturday, fish the day, and fish Sunday till afternoon.

But now the damn canoe marathon thing is happening. Apparently, the canoes will stick mostly to the deeper water, so if we fish glides, rapids etc, we should not be in each other's way.

BUT

Then there us the possibility that Vaal dam sluice gates will be opened more to increase the flow. Now this is a problem. So my friend is trying to find out if this opening of the sluice gates is actually going to happen. If so, we will abandon the whole thing and go fish somewhere else.

Still waiting for feed-back from him.

The flow always goes up with the canoe race.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

o well Ive already booked so i will still go and have a go. from where to where will the race be?

looked on the internet. the race will be on Saturday and Sunday. they start at the vaal dam wall. and travel about 30km per day so it think if we fish more than 30km from the wall we will be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Johandre View Post
    looked on the internet. the race will be on Saturday and Sunday. they start at the vaal dam wall. and travel about 30km per day so it think if we fish more than 30km from the wall we will be ok
    Because flowing water works like that

How fast do you guys reckon the water will rise and drop?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The canoeists are not the issue the heavy flows are. Expect flows to go up five fold from 20 cumecs to 100.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

In fairness it would be quite annoying to get hit on the head by an oar while being washed down to the Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The canoeists are not the issue the heavy flows are. Expect flows to go up five fold from 20 cumecs to 100.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

haha will take along my 8/9wt and do some salt water fishing when i land in the atlantic. only joking. If thats the case then i will cancel the trip