Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: marico river

Default marico river

so im of to the marico river.since the vaal is out this weekend. Have anybody fished this river?

Take your bass flies, some lovely fishing to be had. Also remember those are Largescale, not Smallmouth, they take a little more finesse than their Vaal cousins.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

thanks allot will take my bass flies, i know they are large scales. fished for for them about a month ago in the letaba. all i want to know is it worth trying for them in the marico? heard a story that their numbers are down a bit. also thinking about magalies burg

Johandre. The Marico yellows in my opinion are some of the most difficult fish to catch! Even the bass doesn't take bass flies. You might fool them on a small nymph. All I can say is STERKTE! There are some BIG yellows in that small river.

Hehe will go and try my best Jacques. theres an old man just outside of marico that will let me fish whenever i want. he also said that there's allot of yellows. i will try small nymphs and zak's . maybe ill get lucky

I agree with Jacques, fished the marico couple years ago.needless to say i only cought bass. Saw some 3kilo yellows cruizing the shallows but they'll only fall for a stick of dynamite. Will go back though. Stunning river but seriously difficult. Much more than Spekboom yellows. Good luck

Johandre did you visit the marico river...and did you have any luck there.

i pro cast i went to the vaal instead caught allot of yellows. went to have a look at the marico yesterday. saw allot of yellows jumping and eating insects on the water. propably a hatch. will go and have a look as soon as i return from phalaborwa

Quote Originally Posted by Johandre View Post
    i pro cast i went to the vaal instead caught allot of yellows. went to have a look at the marico yesterday. saw allot of yellows jumping and eating insects on the water. propably a hatch. will go and have a look as soon as i return from phalaborwa
    Johandre, go try at the water board for those tigers boet, the oliphants is low and clear, but as you know, the pools are deep and still hold tigers. The letaba at the Letaba ranch road at the bridge normally hold great tigers, but only when running a bit high, at the moment you will have trap a loooong ways to find them hey...ps: I would not go to that spot alone though...but hey, you are a fellow "Phala"stinian and know the ropes...cheers!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

hey Shamwari 1 of my friends phoned me on monday. he said the tigers started moving up. popably due to the rains coming. they caught a monster of 6.8kg near the bridge this past weekend

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast