Thread: Stillwater Tiger advice?

Default Stillwater Tiger advice?

Hello folks.

I'm in need of some still water tiger advice. I'm heading home to Kariba and just picked up a 9 wt set up.

I've got a fast sinking intermediate line that I'll be using with a 17lb leader.

I'll be fishing all sorts of structure, sand banks, grassy bank etc.

Does anyone have some advice on catching these buggers in still waters ?
    Flies to use etc.

I've got a Lake Kariba thread going which I'll post pictures of my endeavours to!
    Anything would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexjordaanzm View Post
    Hello folks.

I'm in need of some still water tiger advice. I'm heading home to Kariba and just picked up a 9 wt set up.

I've got a fast sinking intermediate line that I'll be using with a 17lb leader.

I'll be fishing all sorts of structure, sand banks, grassy bank etc.

Does anyone have some advice on catching these buggers in still waters ?
    Flies to use etc.

I've got a Lake Kariba thread going which I'll post pictures of my endeavours to!
    Anything would be much appreciated!
    I am no expert, but for the early mornings and late afternoons / early eve's, I will cast a floating line out with a gurgler or flipper type fly to perhaps entice a nice surface strike...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I would go for a lot heavier than the 17 pound leader, and use a wire trace, otherwise you are going to go through a lot of flies.. Fish towards structure and allow the fly to go deep before starting a fast strip retrieve.
    Small heavily weighted baitfish flies in white and silver should work well. Tigers aren't that picky most of the time, but a good selection of flies will help.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I fished Kariba years back and we got lots of little tigers to a kilo on small, natural coloured Hot Flash Minnows (Andy Burke pattern using Angel Hair) - by natural I mean greenish top and pearl belly. We fished these around obvious drop-offs and points. Once these I got shredded I tied up some similar flies which were bigger, brighter and shinier but they didn't work very well. Successful pattern was tied on a size 6 stinger. Fast sink shooting head / unweighted fly would be my preference just because it's easier and slightly safer to cast on a small boat. Do use wire - that titanium alloy stuff is very good and knottable. We also got big fish on lures around timber which was pretty hairy - no doubt persistence with bigger fly patterns (up to 9cm) will pay off. Not sure about the surface bite - I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

Thanks a lot for the info.

I know the tiger feed off small Kapenta fish and small bream.
    Kapenta.jpg
    The areas I'll focus fishing on are these breeding grounds, with the lake dropping this time of year I'm sure the fish will be moving to the deeper channels around the islands.

I'll get hold of some trace to stick on the end of my line , I've been hearing lots of mixed info with regards to whether I should use some tace but I'll do some trial and error and give a report back.

I've got a lot of clousers, brush flies and minnows that I'm going to try and throw but I'll pick up some more flies before I head back.

We fish conventional spinners and spoons etc and have had much luck but we've never tried the poppers, they work wonders on the rivers and delta apparently but as a mate pointed out there are fish eagles every 200 metres around our area on Kariba so the thought was that the fish are going to avoid the surface action unless its the crack of dawn or late evening.

Like I said I'll give it a dig and report back on the Lake Kariba thread.

Hi Alex...the guys tie clousers in blue over white and chartreuse over white for the kapenta imatations.....sometimes even all 3 togther...hope this helps...I have some flies tied up for a trip that I never used..they tied on wire traces with a swivel...I can drop off some for you in Stellenbosch if you like...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Hi Alex...the guys tie clousers in blue over white and chartreuse over white for the kapenta imatations.....sometimes even all 3 togther...hope this helps...I have some flies tied up for a trip that I never used..they tied on wire traces with a swivel...I can drop off some for you in Stellenbosch if you like...
    Thanks a lot man , I'm actually in Durban at the moment and am heading straight home from here but I've got a mate who's coming down to the farm quite soon. I'll pm you and we can make a plan. Thanks alot man, much appreciated.